Get 1457 essential facts below. View Videos
or join the 1457 discussion
. Add 1457
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Year 1457 (MCDLVII) was a common year starting on Saturday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar.
- February 11 – After years of captivity and absence from the Ming throne, the Zhengtong Emperor of China is reinstated, as the Tianshun Emperor.
- February 24 – Charles VIII of Sweden is declared deposed. The Archbishop of Sweden, Jöns Bengtsson Oxenstierna, and statesman Erik Axelsson Tott become co-regents of Sweden. The throne is then offered to Christian I of Denmark and Norway.
- March 6 – King James II of Scotland decrees that ". . . ye futebawe and ye golf be uterly cryt done and not usyt . . " The first historical mention of the game of golf.
- April 12 – ?tefan cel Mare secures the throne of Moldavia, which he retains for the next 47 years.
- June 23 – Christian I is elected king of Sweden, ending the war between Sweden and Denmark and restoring the Kalmar Union.
- August 14 – The Mainz Psalter, the second major book printed with movable type in the West, the first to be wholly finished mechanically (including colour), and the first to carry a printed date, is printed for the Elector of Mainz.
- September 2 – Battle of Ujëbardha: One of Skanderbeg's most important victories is won against the Ottoman army, in the open field.
- January 18 – Antonio Trivulzio, seniore, Roman Catholic cardinal (d. 1508)
- January 28 – King Henry VII of England (d. 1509)
- February 2 – Peter Martyr d'Anghiera, Italo-Spanish historian and diplomat (d. 1526)
- February 13 – Mary of Burgundy, sovereign duchess regnant of Burgundy, married to Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor (d. 1482)
- August 20 – Seongjong of Joseon, King of Joseon (d. 1494)
- September 21 – Hedwig Jagiellon, Duchess of Bavaria, Polish princess (d. 1502)
- November 16 – Beatrice of Naples, Hungarian queen (d. 1508)
- date unknown
- March 14 – Jingtai Emperor of China (b. 1428)
- March 16 – László Hunyadi, Hungarian statesman and warrior (b. 1433)
- May 22 – Saint Rita of Cascia, Italian saint (b. 1381)
- August 1 – Lorenzo Valla, Italian humanist
- August 19 – Andrea del Castagno, Italian painter (b. 1421)
- September 12 – Gabriele Sforza, Archbishop of Milan (b. 1423)
- September 14 – Countess Palatine Margaret of Mosbach, countess consort of Hanau (b. 1432)
- September 22 – Peter II, Duke of Brittany (b. 1418)
- November 3 – Ludwig II, Count of Württemberg-Urach, German noble (b. 1439)
- November 23 – King Ladislaus Posthumus of Bohemia and Hungary (b. 1440)
- December 24 – Danjong of Joseon, King of Joseon (b. 1441)
- date unknown