The 1971 US Open was a tennis tournament that took place on the outdoor grass courts at the West Side Tennis Club in Forest Hills, Queens, in New York City, USA. The tournament ran from 1 September until 12 September. It was the 91st staging of the US Open, and the fourth Grand Slam tennis event of 1971.
Stan Smith defeated Jan Kode?, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2, 7-6(5-3)
- o It was Smith's 1st career Grand Slam singles title and his 1st and only at the US Open.
Billie Jean King defeated Rosemary Casals, 6-4, 7-6 
- o It was King's 6th career Grand Slam singles title, her 2nd during the Open Era and her 2nd at the US Open.
John Newcombe / Roger Taylor defeated Stan Smith / Erik van Dillen, 6-7, 6-3, 7-6, 4-6, [5-3] 
- o It was Newcombe's 12th career Grand Slam doubles title, his 6th during the Open Era and his 2nd US Open and 1st of the open era.
- o It was Taylor's 1st career Grand Slam doubles title.
Rosemary Casals / Judy Tegart Dalton defeated Gail Chanfreau / Françoise Dürr, 6-3, 6-3 
- o It was Casals' 6th career Grand Slam doubles title, her 4th during the Open Era and her 2nd at the US Open.
- o It was Tegart Dalton's 8th and last career Grand Slam doubles title, her 5th during the Open Era and her 2nd at the US Open.
Billie Jean King / Owen Davidson defeated Betty Stöve / Robert Maud, 6-3, 7-5 
- John Newcombe (First Round, lost to Jan Kode?)
- Stanley Smith (Champion)
- Arthur Ashe (Semifinals, lost to Jan Kode?)
- Tom Okker (Semifinals, lost to Stanley Smith)
- Marty Riessen (Quarterfinals, lost to Stanley Smith)
- Cliff Richey (Third Round, lost to Jim Osborne)
- Clark Graebner (Quarterfinals, lost to Tom Okker)
- Ilie N?stase (Third Round, lost to Bob Carmichael)