Get 1980 in Sports essential facts below. View Videos
or join the 1980 in Sports discussion
. Add 1980 in Sports
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
1980 in Sports
1980 in sports describes the year's events in world sport.
Newport County AFC win Welsh Cup for first time.
- March 31 - death of Jesse Owens, American sprinter who won four gold medals at the Berlin Olympics in 1936
- June 12 - Soviet Union's Nadiya Olizarenko sets the world record in the women's 800 metres, clocking 1:54.85 at Moscow
- July 27 - Nadiya Olizarenko betters her own world record in the women's 800 metres at the 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow, clocking 1:53.43.
National Basketball League (Australia) Finals
- XXII Olympic Games, held in Moscow, Soviet Union (July 20 - July 27)
- February 2 - USA's Chris Cavanaugh sets a world record in the 50m freestyle (long course) at a swimming meet in Amersfoort, Netherlands, shaving off 0.04 of the previous record (23.70) set by Germany's Klaus Steinbach nearly a year ago: 23.66.
- April 10 - Chris Cavanaugh betters his own world record in the 50m freestyle (long course) at a swimming meet in Austin, Texas (USA): 23.12. At the same event (and on the same day), two other swimmers from the United States, Rowdy Gaines and Bruce Stahl, go under his time, clocking 22.96 and 22.83 respectively.
- August 15 - USA's Joe Bottom betters the world record in the 50m freestyle (long course) at a meet in Honolulu, Hawaii, shaving off 0.12 of the previous record (22.83) set by Bruce Stahl four months earlier: 22.71.