Get 1995 in Sports essential facts below. View Videos
or join the 1995 in Sports discussion
. Add 1995 in Sports
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
1995 in Sports
1995 in sports describes the year's events in world sport.
- Men's Champions Trophy: Germany
- Women's Champions Trophy: Australia
- Men's European Nations Cup: Germany
- Women's European Nations Cup: Netherlands
The following is a list of major noteworthy MMA events during 1995 in chronological order.
Before 1997, the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) was considered the only major MMA organization in the world and featured much fewer rules then are used in modern MMA.
||UFC 5: The Return of the Beast
|| Charlotte, North Carolina, US
||UFC rule change, introduction to a single 30 minute round. Introduction of superfights.
Rorion Gracie and Royce Gracie cut there involvement with the UFC following this event.
||UFC 6: Clash of the Titans
|| Casper, Wyoming, US
||UFC rule change, referee is given the authority to restart the fight. Introduction to additional 5 minute extension to 30 minute round. Introduction of superfight titles.
||UFC 7: The Brawl in Buffalo
|| Buffalo, New York, US
||The Ultimate Ultimate
||Ultimate Ultimate 1995
| Denver, Colorado, US
||Time limits were redefined for this event. 15 minutes in quarterfinal fights, 18 minutes for semi-final fights, and 27 minutes with a possible 3 minute overtime for the final fight.
- Australian international representative forward Ian Roberts became the first high-profile Australian sports person and first rugby footballer in the world to come out to the public as gay.
- March 5 - Carcassonne, France: last match of the 1995 European Championship is played with Wales finishing on top of the table.
- March 10 - Auckland, New Zealand: newly formed Auckland Warriors club play their first match: a 25-22 loss to the Brisbane Broncos at Ericsson Stadium before 29,220.
- April 29 - London, England: 1994-95 Challenge Cup tournament culminates in Wigan's 30-10 win over Leeds in the final at Wembley Stadium before 78,550.
- May 31 - Melbourne, Australia: 1995 State of Origin is wrapped up by Queensland in game two of the three-match series against New South Wales at the Melbourne Cricket Ground before 52,994.
- September 24 - Sydney, Australia: 1995 ARL season culminates in the Sydney Bulldogs' 17-4 win over the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles in the grand final at the Sydney Football Stadium before 41,127.
- October 24 - Bury, England: 1995 Emerging Nations Tournament culminates in the Cook Islands' 22-6 win over Ireland in the final at Gigg Lane before 4,147.
- October 28 - London, England: 1995 World Cup culminates in Australia's 16-8 win over England in the final at Wembley Stadium before 66,540.
- Men's World Cup: Italy
- Men's European Championship: Italy
- Women's World Cup: Cuba
- Women's European Championship: Netherlands
- Men's World Cup: Hungary
- Men's European Championship]: Italy
- Women's European Championship: Italy