Get 2070s essential facts below. View Videos
or join the 2070s discussion
. Add 2070s
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
The 2070s (pronounced "twenty-seventies") is a decade of the Gregorian calendar that will begin on January 1, 2070 and will end on December 31, 2079.
Notable predictions and known events
- May 3 - Asteroid has a 1 in 71 chance of impacting the Earth.
- February 22 - Asteroid 2 Pallas will make a record close approach to Earth at 1.233 AU.
- c. May 31 - the planetoid 90377 Sedna is expected to reach its perihelion, its closest point to the Sun. It is expected to reach a distance of 76 AU, or 76 times the average distance Earth is from the Sun. Sedna has a highly elliptical orbit, thus it is difficult to locate; at its aphelion, it reaches a distance of about 942 AU. This date is subject to adjustment as Sedna's orbit is still being refined.
- May 1 - A total solar eclipse is predicted for New York City in the United States, as well as Nova Scotia in Canada.
- June 6 - The smalldatetime fields in SQL-Server databases will wrap around to January 1, 1900.
- August 11 - Mercury occults Mars for the first time since 578. It is difficult to observe, but is the best observable occultation of a planet by another in the 21st century.