Get 26th Century essential facts below. View Videos
or join the 26th Century discussion
. Add 26th Century
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
The 26th century in the anno Domini or Common Era of the Gregorian calendar will begin on January 1, 2501 and end on December 31, 2600.
List of the long total solar eclipses
- June 14, 2504: Solar eclipse, (7 min 10 s), of saros 145.
- June 25, 2522: at 9:04 TD, total solar eclipse of 7 min 12 s, "crowning" at the top the series of saros 145.[Note 1]
- July 5, 2540: Solar eclipse, (7 min 04 s), of saros 145.
- July 17, 2558: Solar eclipse, (6 min 43 s), of saros 145.
- August 6, 2567: Solar eclipse, (6 min 26 s), of saros 164.
- August 16, 2585: Solar eclipse, (6 min 16 s), of saros 164.
Particular eclipse prediction
- May 5, 2600: First total solar eclipse visible from London since 2151.
The width of its path is predicted to be exceptionally wide at its maximum point.
Science fiction set in the 26th century
- The TV show Cleopatra 2525 is set in 2525. (The theme song for the show is a parody of the song "In the Year 2525", mingled with the sound effects of futuristic weaponry.)
- The TV show Firefly is set in 2517, and follow Space Captain and Unification War veteran, Malcolm Reynolds, and his crew, across various planets.
- The eighth season of Mystery Science Theater 3000 is set in 2525. According to the show, 2525 is the year in which Earth is destroyed.
- The Doctor Who serial Earthshock, featuring the hijacking of a space freighter by Cybermen, is set largely in the year 2526.
- The Doctor Who serials Frontier in Space and Planet of the Daleks take place in 2540.
- In the South Park episode "Go God Go", Eric Cartman freezes himself because he is too impatient to wait three weeks for the release of the Wii video game console. He is accidentally left frozen until 2546.
- In the Star Trek: Enterprise episode "Azati Prime", Captain Jonathan Archer is briefly transported to a possible future 26th century (in the Star Trek universe) in which Klingon and Xindi crewmen serve the United Federation of Planets. Archer visits a possible version of USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-J).
- The Planet of the Apes episode "Escape from Tomorrow" features a history book with a photograph of New York City in 2503.
- The Medabots series are set in the 26th century.
- Miles from Tomorrowland is set in 2551.
- The Tom and Jerry episode "Guided Mouse-ille" takes place in 2565.
- "In the Year 2525", a 1969 song by Zager and Evans, describes what life is like in 2525 (and later 3535, 4545 and many others). Disturbing predictions are given for each selected year.
- "Pretty Good Looking", a song by the White Stripes on their album "De Stijl", references the Zager and Evans song with the line "This feeling's still gonna linger on/until the year 2525 now."
Population of Earth
Physicist Stephen Hawking, at a White House lecture in 1999, remarked that if there is no space colonization, population expansion continued unabated and the people of the Earth continued to use power at the rate they did then, then by the year 2600, people would be standing shoulder to shoulder and the Earth would glow red hot.
Notes and references
- ^ The serie from the last total eclipse of the last millennium taken on August 11, 1999.
Centuries and millennia