Get 41st Grammy Awards essential facts below. View Videos
or join the 41st Grammy Awards discussion
. Add 41st Grammy Awards
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
41st Grammy Awards
The 41st Annual Grammy Awards were held on February 24, 1999, at Shrine Auditorium, Los Angeles. They recognized accomplishments by musicians from the year 1998. Lauryn Hill was the main recipient, winning a total of 5 awards including Album of the Year and Best New Artist. Her album was the first hip hop act ever to win the coveted award. The ceremony was known as the "Grammy Year of Women", because every artist nominated for Album of the Year was female (including Garbage, with Shirley Manson as the lead singer). Madonna won four awards and opened the show with her performance of "Nothing Really Matters" while musicians the Dixie Chicks, Vince Gill, Alanis Morissette and Shania Twain won two apiece. Celine Dion also received two awards both for "My Heart Will Go On", which received a total of four awards.
It is widely remembered for Ricky Martin's performance of "La Copa De La Vida"/ "The Cup of Life".
- Record of the Year
- Album of the Year
- Song of the Year
- Best New Artist
- Best Alternative Music Performance
- From 1994 through 2003, see "Best Spoken Comedy Album" under the "Spoken" field, below.
Composing and arranging
- Best Female Country Vocal Performance
- Best Male Country Vocal Performance
- Best Country Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal
- Best Country Collaboration with Vocals
- Clint Black, Joe Diffie, Merle Haggard, Emmylou Harris, Alison Krauss, Patty Loveless, Earl Scruggs, Ricky Skaggs, Marty Stuart, Pam Tillis, Randy Travis, Travis Tritt & Dwight Yoakam for "Same Old Train"
- Best Country Instrumental Performance
- Best Country Song
- Best Country Album
- Best Bluegrass Album
Packaging and notes
Production and engineering
- Best Female R&B Vocal Performance
- Best Male R&B Vocal Performance
- Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal
- Best R&B Song
- Best R&B Album
- Best Traditional R&B Vocal Album
- Best Rap Solo Performance
- Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group
- Best Rap Album
Special merit awards