|A-Q (Gilbert Bani)
August 1, 1986 |
Abia State, Nigeria
||Rapper, songwriter, recording artists, dancer, actor,record producer, entrepreneur
||Vocals, guitar, piano
||M-Trill, YQ, Vector, Yemi Alade, Morell, Boogey, Maytronomy, Pryse, Base One
Gilbert Bani (born August 1, 1986) popularly known by his stage name A-Q, is a Nigerian rapper, recording artist, dancer, songwriter, and performer.
A-Q was nominated for The Headies for best rap song artist 2016, for "Agu Ji Ndi Men".
Born into a family of six as the last child, A-Q real name Gilbert Bani was raised in Surulere where he has lived for most of his life.
A-Q attended Kings College Lagos, and had his tertiary education at the University of Lagos. At a young age he started collecting hip-hop tracks, learning the lyrics and miming them. It didn't take long before he started writing his own lyrics.
A-Q signed his first record deal in 2001 with Big Leaf Records where he was for two years before he started working on his own in 2003. His first single "(W)rap Nigeria", produced by kraftmatics, debuted in 2004 followed by a music video. He subsequently released a full compilation album Listen and Understand in 2005 followed by another single, "Things That We Do", which got him an international online distribution deal. In 2006 A-Q put out a mixtape titled Maga Must Pay vol 1.
A-Q took a break from music to finish his education in University of Lagos but still managed to release a single, "Make Money", and accompanying video in 2008 produced by Laylow and featuring Morachi and Xtrim off an online mixtape titled Love and Money.
A-Q graduated in 2010 and returned to the entertainment industry, this time co-floating a record label, Hustle Inc, on whose platform he started Black Friday Twitter Freestyles, a weekly free download release. This got him online acknowledgement including from producer Don Jazzy who styled him "one of the sickest rappers alive". He recorded and released The Past Present and Future album in December 2010 which had the singles "Names" and "Champagne and Rum". He released more music including "Distractions" featuring Vector in 2012, "Machine Gun Flow", "555 (5beats 5verses and 5blessings)", and "Why" featuring Pamela.
He released an EP in December 2012 titled Make Your Best Rapper Look Stupid. He is currently working on his sophomore album titled G.I.L.B.E.R.T (Grace and Glory).
- Listen and Overstand (2005)
- The Past Present and Future (2010)
- Rose (2016)
- Blessed Forever (2017)
Mixtapes and EPs
- Maga Must Pay Mixtape (2006)
- Love and Money (2008)
- Make Your Best Rapper Look Stupid (2012)
- Son of John (2014)
- Son of John 2 (2015)
- "(W)rap Nigeria" (2005)
- "Make Money" (2007)
- "Names" (2010)
- "Champagne and Rum" (2011)
- "Why" (2012)
- ^ Akan, Joey. "Pulse Album Review: A-Q embraces the new wave on refreshing "Rose" album". Pulse.ng. Retrieved 2018.
- ^ Solanke, Abiola. "Rapper AQ"s new album "Blessed Forever" is out to touch a life". Pulse.ng. Retrieved 2018.
- ^ "Daily Post - Nigeria News, Nigerian Newspapers". Daily Post Nigeria. Retrieved 2018.
- ^ 
- ^ "'My Music & I' with A-Q - Working with Jesse Jagz, M.I., Naeto C & 'Rose' Album - SoundcityTV Africa - Powered by Music - South African Bongo Nigeria Ghana Music". soundcity.tv. Retrieved 2018.
- ^ "Exclusive Interview with Fast Rising Nigerian Hip-Hop Artiste, A-Q". Archived from the original on 2013-07-17.
- ^ "A-Q - Jazzman (Remix) ft. DJ Spinall, Yung6ix & Dremo [New Song]". Tooxclusive.com. 2 August 2017. Retrieved 2018.
- ^ "WORD SMITH: LYRICS OF THE WEEK - A-Q - Sounds.ng - Nigerian Music". Music.informationng.com. 4 December 2015. Retrieved 2018.
- ^ "TheNET.ng - Nigeria's Top Website for News, Gossip, Comedy, Videos, Blogs, Events, Weddings, Nollywood, Celebs, Scoop and Games". Nigerian Entertainment Today. Retrieved 2018.
- ^ "Headies-nominated rapper, A-Q, drops 'MMM'". Lifestyle.thecable.ng. 13 December 2016. Retrieved 2018.
- ^ "The debut of Nigerian controversial Rap Artiste; A-Q". Trendy Africa. Retrieved 2018.
- ^ ""My Strongest Competition In The Rap Single Category Is Olamide"- AQ". Naijaloaded.com.ng. 16 December 2016. Retrieved 2018.
- ^ "9jaolofofo Meets Rapper 'A-Q' (Exclusive Interview)". Archived from the original on 2013-07-14.
- ^ "one of the sickest rappers alive (Don Jazzy calls A-Q one of the sickest rapper alive)".
- ^ 
- ^ "champagne rum". Bellanaija.com. Retrieved 2018.