Michael A. Smith|
Jack Frost, Acid Budda, Gentry Ice, The Endless Poker, Percy Richblood|
January 4, 1963|
Chicago, Illinois, United States|
Marshall Jefferson, Jack Frost & The Circle Jerks, The Acid Budda|
Adonis (born Michael A. Smith, current legal name Adonis M. Smith; January 4, 1963) is a pioneering American acid house musician. Adonis is best known for his early Chicago house tracks "No Way Back" and "We're Rockin Down the House", released on Trax Records.
Born and raised on the West Side of Chicago, Adonis was introduced to music at a young age. He studied contemporary jazz at the American Conservatory of Music. Later on, he played bass guitar in several R&B bands and was eventually introduced to the house scene in Chicago through hearing Jesse Saunders' "On and On".
As Michael A. Smith, he was a member of the band Clockwork. They recorded "I'm Your Candy Girl" (1984), a post-disco boogie song.
In 1986, Adonis released "No Way Back", which is considered to be one of the most influential Chicago house tracks. The single, by estimate, sold over 100,000 copies and was selected as number 14 by on the 2014 Rolling Stone list of the 20 best Chicago house records.
- As Adonis
- "No Way Back" (single) (1986, Trax Records)
- "We're Rocking Down the House" (single) (1986, Trax Records)
- "Acid Poke" (single) (1988, Desire Records)
- "H.O.U.S.E." (featuring M. C. Kodak) (single) (1988, Black Market Records)
- "Do You Wanna Jack" (as Gentry Ice) b/w "Lost in the Sound" (single) (1989, Jack Trax)
- With The Endless Poker's
- "! The Poke !" (single) (1987, D.J. International Records)
- With Clockwork
- "I'm Your Candy Girl" (single) (1984, Private I Records)
- "Night Life" (single) (1985, The Network)
- "Feela-La-La" (single) (1987, City Street Records)
- ^ Bogdanov, Vladimir (2001). All Music Guide to Electronica: The Definitive Guide to Electronic Music (4th ed.). Backbeat Books. p. 3. ISBN 978-0879306281. " Chicago, IL Producer / Club/Dance, Acid House, House Despite his formal training and lack of clubbing experience, Adonis made waves on the ..."
- ^ "Songwriter/Composer: SMITH MICHAEL A". Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI). CAE/IPI 50776870. Retrieved 2018.
- ^ "Songwriter/Composer: SMITH ADONIS M". Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI). CAE/IPI 233435198. Retrieved 2018.
- ^ Larkin, Colin (2009). "Adonis". Encyclopedia of Popular Music 4 ed. Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/acref/9780195313734.001.0001. ISBN 9780199726363. Retrieved 2018.
- ^ Cuccu, Antonio (November 16, 2012). "Recensioni: Mock & Toof - Temporary Happiness" (in Italian). Sentireascoltare. Retrieved 2018.
- ^ Castillo, Arielle; Dayal, Geeta; Harris, Keith (April 2, 2014). "20 Best Chicago House Records". Rolling Stone. no. 14. Retrieved 2018.