Alison / Allison / Alyson / Allyson
|Meaning||"Alice's son" or "little Alice"|
|Short form(s)||Ali, Alie, Alley, Alli, Allie, Ally, Aly, Alys|
|See also||Allyson, Alyson|
Alison, Allison, Alyson or Allyson is a unisex given name in English-speaking countries. It was originally a medieval French nickname for Alis, an old form of Alice derived with the suffix -on or -son sometimes used in the former French nicknames such as Jeanson ("little Jean") or Pierson ("little Pierre").
The variant spelling Allison is the most common form in the United States. Other variations include Alisson, Allyson, Alyson, Alysson, Alicen and Alycen, with nicknames Allie, Alley, Alie, Ali, Ally, Aly, Al, Aley and Alli.
Allison also has separate, disputed roots as a family name.
In Lusophone countries like Brazil and Portugal, Alison and variant forms are also used as masculine given names.
Alison, variant form Alizon, is a French surname.
The name is first recorded in Scotland in the 12th century. It was popular until the early 19th century and, spelled Allison, was the 45th most common name given to baby girls in the United States in 2005 (Allyson was #253; Alison, #259; Alyson, #468; Allie, #256; Ally, #656; and Alice, #414). In 1990 in the United States, Allison was the 228th most popular name for women of all ages; Alison was #347, Allyson, #775; Alyson, #981; Allie, #764; Ali, #2434; and Alice, #51. Alison in any spelling did not enter the top 100 baby names in 2005 in England and Wales.
Allison last entered the top 1000 baby names for males in the United States in 1946, when it ranked #968. In the 1910s it ranked from 667 to 981 with an average of #835, and in the first decade of the 20th century, it ranked as high as #927.
People named Alison
- Alison Balsom (born 1978), British trumpeter
- Alison Brie (born 1982), American actress
- Alison Bechdel (born 1960), American cartoonist
- Alison Becker (born 1977), American actress
- Alison Chapman-Andrews (born 1942), English-Barbadian painter and artist
- Alison H. Clarkson (born 1955), American politician
- Alison DiLaurentis, fictional character from TV showPretty Little Liars
- Alison Doody (born 1966), Irish actress and model
- Alison Fuller, British educational researcher
- Alison Goldfrapp (born 1966), English musician and record producer, lead vocalist of electronic music duo Goldfrapp
- Alison Hammond (born 1975), English television personality
- Alison Hinds (born 1970), English-Barbadian Soca Musician
- Allison Holker (born 1988), American dancer
- Alison Horner (born 1966), British businesswoman
- Alison Janney (born 1959), American actress
- Alison Kinnaird (born 1949), Scottish musician, sculptor and teacher
- Alison Kosik (born 1971), news journalist for the Cable News Network (CNN)
- Alison Krauss (born 1971), American musician
- Alison Lohman (born 1979), American actress
- Allison Mack (born 1982), American actress and criminal
- Alison Marr, American mathematician
- Alison Marsden, American bioengineer
- Alison Mitchell, English sports broadcaster
- Alison Moyet (born 1961), English singer and songwriter
- Allison Munn (born 1974), American actress
- Alison R.H. Narayan (born 1984), American chemistry professor
- Alison Parker news reporter, murdered on television
- Alison Pill (born 1985), Canadian actress
- Alison Redford (born 1965), Canadian lawyer and politician
- Alison Robins (1920-2017), worked at Bletchley Park "Y-Service"
- Allison Scagliotti (born 1990), American actress
- Alison Saunders (born 1961), former Director of Public Prosecutions (England and Wales)
- Alison Schumacher (born 2002), Canadian figure skater
- Alison Sealy-Smith (born 1959), Barbadian actress
- Alison Shrubsole (1925-2002), British educationist and university administrator
- Alison Steadman (born 1946), English actress
- Alison Sudol (born 1984), American musician and actress
- Alison Sweeney (born 1976), American actress
- Alison Weir (born 1951), English author and historian
- Allison Williams (born 1988), American actress, comedian, and singer
- Alison Williamson (born 1971), English archer
- Taylor Alison Swift (born 1989), American singer-songwriter
- Alisson Becker (born 1992), commonly known as Alisson, Brazilian footballer
- Allison Brooks (1917-2006), American Air Force aviator
- Allison Burnett (born 1958), American screenwriter
- Alison Cerutti (born 1985), Brazilian beach volleyball player
- Allison Danzig (1898-1987), American sports journalist
- Alison Lopes Ferreira (born 1993), commonly known as Alison, Brazilian footballer
- Alison Henrique Mira (born 1995), commonly known as Alison, Brazilian footballer
- Allison Patrício (born 1986), Brazilian footballer