Get Arnold Whittall essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Arnold Whittall discussion
. Add Arnold Whittall
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Arnold Whittall (born 1935, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England) is a British musicologist and writer. He is Professor Emeritus at King's College London. Between 1975 and 1996 he was Professor at King's. Previously he lectured at Cambridge, Nottingham (1964-1969) and Cardiff (1969-1975).
Since the 1960s he has published books, articles and contributed chapters to multi-authored books.
- Schoenberg Chamber Music. London: BBC, 1972.
- Music since the First World War. London : Dent, 1977.
- The Music of Britten and Tippett - Studies in Themes and Techniques. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1982. (Second edition 1990)
- Romantic Music : a concise history from Schubert to Sibelius. London : Thames and Hudson, 1987.
- (Co-authored with Jonathan Dunsby) Music analysis : in theory and practice. London : Faber, 1988.
- Musical composition in the twentieth century. Oxford : Oxford University Press, 1999.
- Jonathan Harvey. London : Faber, 1999.
- Exploring twentieth-century music : tradition and innovation. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2003.
- The Cambridge introduction to serialism. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, c2008.