Get Chime Bell Instrument essential facts below,
or join the Chime Bell Instrument discussion
. Add Chime Bell Instrument
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Chime Bell Instrument
A carillon-like instrument with fewer than 23 bells is called a chime.
The first bell chime was created in 1487.harmonically tuned. Since then chime bells produced in Belgium, the Netherlands, England, and America have tuning to produce fully harmonized music. Some towers in England normally hung for full circle change ringing can be chimed when mouth downwards by an Ellacombe apparatus.
Before 1900, chime bells typically lacked dynamic variation and were not
American chimes usually have one to one and a half diatonic octaves. Some chimes are automated.
- The Altgeld Chimes at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The fifteen bells were cast and installed by the McShane Bell Foundry in 1920. They were a gift of the classes of 1914-1921 and the United States School of Military Aeronautics.
- The Arma Sifton bells at the International Peace Garden, North Dakota, United States. The 14 bells by Gillett & Johnston were a gift from Central United Church of Brandon, Manitoba, in 1972. The tower was supplied by North Dakota Veterans and dedicated in 1976.
- The chimes of St. Peter the Apostle Parish in New Brunswick, New Jersey, United States. These nine bells were installed in 1870 by Meneely Bell Company of Watervliet, New York.
- Ann Arbor Farmer's Market. Consists of 17 bells, 10 of which were originally cast for St. Stephen's Church in Cohasset Massachusetts, in the 1920s and 7 bells cast in 1997 by Royal Eijsbouts bell foundry in The Netherlands.
- The bells of St Bartholomew's Church, Dublin, sometimes incorrectly called a carillon: eight bells cast by Gillett & Bland and installed in 1881. Briefly silenced by noise complaints in 2013.
- The chime at the Highland Arts Theatre (formerly St. Andrew's United Church) in Sydney, Nova Scotia still sings forth regularly and has become a part of the sound of the city's downtown. This is the original McShane Bell Foundry Ten Bell Chime, installed in the church as it was constructed in 1911. In December 2015 a video posted on Facebook of Sydney native Glenda Watt playing the Christmas carol "Angels We Have Heard on High" on the chime was viewed more than 1.6 million times within the first nine days of it being uploaded to the social networking site. Follow this link to a page of videos of the chime being played: The Chimes ~ Christmas Music
- The bells of Bradford City Hall routinely ring every fifteen minutes and play tunes at midday and late afternoon plus carols in December. Other tunes are played to mark local and national events.