Get Crew essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Crew discussion
. Add Crew
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
A crew is a body or a class of people who work at a common activity, generally in a structured or hierarchical organization. A location in which a crew works is called a crewyard or a workyard. The word has nautical resonances: the tasks involved in operating a ship, particularly a sailing ship, providing numerous specialities within a ship's crew, often organised with a chain of command. Traditional nautical usage strongly distinguishes officers from crew, though the two groups combined form the ship's company. Members of a crew are often referred to by the title Crewman.
Crew also refers to the sport of rowing, where teams row competitively in racing shells.
- For a specific sporting usage, see rowing crew.
- For filmmaking usage, see film crew.
- For live music usage, see road crew.
- For analogous entities in research on human judgment and decision-making, see team and judge-advisor system.
- For stagecraft usage, see stage crew.
- For video production usage, see television crew.
- For the comic strip, see Motley's Crew.
- For the sports team, see Columbus Crew SC.
- For the 2014 video game, see The Crew (video game).
- For crews in aviation and the airline industry, see groundcrew and aircrew.
- For crews in human spaceflight, see astronaut.
- Tank crew
- Boat crew