Get Drone Display essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Drone Display discussion
. Add Drone Display
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
A drone display is the use of multiple unmanned aerial vehicles (drones), often quadcopters, flying in a coordinated fashion for public display. They are usually equipped with LEDs, and the display held at night. The displays may be for entertainment, where the drones may use flocking or swarming behaviour. The drones may also be coordinated to produce images. Using this emerging technology, displays have been employed for advertising purposes as well.
Intel has produced the Shooting Star, a type of drone used in light shows. They were used during the 2018 Winter Olympics, a Super Bowl halftime show in 2017, and a 2018 4th of July celebration.
Drone light shows differ from fireworks displays in that drones are reusable, and do not produce air and noise pollution. However, drone displays cannot take place during rain or strong winds.
List of drone displays
- November 2016 - Five hundred drones were used in Krailling, Germany, a Guinness World Record.
- 2017 - Three hundred drones performed during a Lady Gaga song in the Super Bowl LI halftime show.
- 2017 - At the Fortune Global Forum in China, 1,180 drones performed.
- September 2017 - To mark the release of the home version of the Wonder Woman film, 300 drones displayed an enormous "W" in the night sky above Los Angeles.
- December 2017 - A swarm of 300 drones performed at Art Basel in Miami Beach.
- 2018 - During the 2018 Winter Olympics opening ceremony, 1,218 drones performed, breaking the previous world record.
- June 2018 - One hundred drones performed in Newcastle, England, making shapes to music at the opening of the Great Exhibition of the North.
- July 2018 - Intel celebrates 50th anniversary with 2018 simultaneous drones over facility in Folsom, California, for Guinness world record. Guinness credited Intel with flying 2066 simultaneous drones.
- January 2019 - Two hundred drones deployed the World's first New Year's Countdown set to fireworks and music for the New Year Celebrations on Al Marjan Island.
- July 2019 - Two hundred and fifty drones performed at the opening show of the 24th World Scout Jamboree.
- October 2019 - Two hundred drones presented the new Peugeot 208 above Paris.