Get Earl of Gloucester essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Earl of Gloucester discussion
. Add Earl of Gloucester
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Earl of Gloucester
This article does not cite any sources
. (December 2009)
The title of Earl of Gloucester was created several times in the Peerage of England. A fictional earl is also a character in William Shakespeare's play King Lear.
Earls of Gloucester, 1st Creation (1121)
- Robert, 1st Earl of Gloucester (1100-1147)
- William Fitz Robert, 2nd Earl of Gloucester (1121-1183)
- Isabel, 3rd Countess of Gloucester (d. 1217) held by husband after 1189, again by her in her own right from 1216 onward.
- Gilbert de Clare, 4th Earl of Hertford, 5th Earl of Gloucester (1180-1230), Isabel's nephew
- Richard de Clare, 5th Earl of Hertford, 6th Earl of Gloucester (1222-1262)
- Gilbert de Clare, 6th Earl of Hertford, 7th Earl of Gloucester (1243-1295)
- Gilbert de Clare, 7th Earl of Hertford, 8th Earl of Gloucester (1291-1314)
Earls of Gloucester, 2nd Creation (1299)
Earls of Gloucester, 3rd Creation (1337)
Earls of Gloucester, 4th Creation (1397)