Electronic rock is a broad music genre that combines rock music and electronic music, featuring instruments typically found within both genres. It originates from the late 1960s, when rock bands such as the Doors, Pink Floyd, Yes and the Moody Blues began incorporating the Moog synthesizer into their sound. Sampling and tape manipulation would also become common with the genre. Electronic rock acts usually fuse elements from other music styles, including punk rock, industrial rock, hip hop, techno, and synth-pop, which has helped spur subgenres such as indietronica, dance-punk, and electroclash. Since the late 2000s, electronic rock has become increasingly popular.
Being a fusion genre of rock and electronic, electronic rock features instruments found in both genres, such as synthesizer, mellotron, electric guitar and drums. Some electronic rock artists, however, often eschew guitar, in favor of using technology to emulate a rock sound. Vocals are usually mellow or upbeat. Instrumentals are also common with the genre. Many bands in the genre favor electronic percussion over traditional percussion.
Subgenres and other terms
The term "progressive rock" (or "prog rock") was originally deployed in the 1960s for music that would otherwise be described as "electronic rock", but the definition of "prog" later narrowed into a specific set of musical conventions, as opposed to a sensibility involving forward-thinking or experimental approaches. Electronic rock is also associated with industrial rock, synth-pop, dance-punk, indietronica, and new wave, with electroclash, new rave, post-punk revival and post-rock, as well as the aforementioned dance-punk and indietronica, being considered subgenres of it. Sometimes, certain other electronic subgenres are fused with rock, such as trance and techno, leading to the use of the terms trance rock and techno rock, respectively.
Heavy metal, a major subgenre of rock, is sometimes mixed with electronic and its subgenres, coining the terms electronic metal, electronic dance metal, trance metal and techno metal. Additionally, heavy metal subgenre metalcore has been mixed with electronic, hence electronicore. A closely related genre called Nintendocore mixes heavy metal and hardcore punk with chiptune and video game music.
Like heavy metal, punk rock has been mixed with electronic music as well, such as synthpunk and dance-punk.
List of artists
Electronic rock, synth rock, trance rock, or techno rock
Electronic metal, trance metal, or techno metal
- ^ a b c d e "Electronic Rock : On the History of Rock Music". Retrieved 2017.
- ^ a b c d e Kearney, Mary Celeste (July 13, 2017). "Gender and Rock". Oxford University Press. Retrieved 2017 - via Google Books.
- ^ Macan, Edward (November 24, 1997). "Rocking the Classics: English Progressive Rock and the Counterculture". Oxford University Press. Retrieved 2017 - via Google Books.
- ^ a b c "The ABC's of...Electronic Rock in the Studio: The Doors to Depeche Mode & LCD Soundsystem - SonicScoop". November 19, 2013. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ a b Sfetcu, Nicolae (May 7, 2014). "The Music Sound". Nicolae Sfetcu. Retrieved 2017 - via Google Books.
- ^ Robinson, Emily (2017). The Language of Progressive Politics in Modern Britain. Palgrave Macmillan UK. p. 117. ISBN 978-1-137-50664-1.
- ^ Buckley, Peter (24 November 2017). "The Rough Guide to Rock". Rough Guides. Retrieved 2017 - via Google Books.
- ^ Prophet, Elizabeth Clare; Press, Summit University (November 24, 1989). "Year of Prophecy". Summit University Press. Retrieved 2017 - via Google Books.
- ^ a b "10 Current Artists That Effortlessly Blend Metal With Other Genres - Page 2 of 2 - Metal Injection". November 2, 2016. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "IS ELECTRONIC DANCE METAL THE NEXT BIG THING - MetalSucks". September 19, 2012. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "30 Second guide to: Trance Metal". Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "Unearthing The Electronic Metal Underground". Retrieved 2017.
- ^ Felix, Dr. Stanford (2010). The Complete Idiot's Guide Music Dictionary. DK Publishing. p. 257. ISBN 978-1-101-19809-4.
- ^ Rip It Up and Start Again: Post Punk 1978-1984.Simon Reynolds.Faber and Faber Ltd, April 2005, ISBN 0-571-21569-6 (U.S. Edition: Penguin, February 2006, ISBN 0-14-303672-6)
- ^ "Blink-182 is a band of bros again". July 23, 2009. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "Telecommunications - A Flock of Seagulls - Songs, Reviews, Credits - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "AWOLNATION Return with 'Run' LP, Premiere New Video". exclaim.ca. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "Battle Tapes Merge the Rawness of Rock with Electronic Music". Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "Electro-rock futurist Celldweller talks modular". Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "Chino Moreno Discusses New +++ (Crosses) Project Before SF Shows". Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "Daft Punk's Enigmatic Rise - The Emory Wheel". 15 October 2016. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "Dead By Sunrise new album out in September". Retrieved 2017.
- ^ Malitz, David (21 April 2009). "Quick Spins: Reviews of CDs by Depeche Mode, Allen Toussaint and Wussy". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2014.
- ^ "New Music Report: Asher Roth and Depeche Mode's Albums". Archived from the original on 26 April 2009.. Rolling Stone.
- ^ "Devo Drummer Alan Myers Loses Fight With Cancer". Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "Fatboy Slim: Palookaville". November 16, 2004. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ McLean, Craig (April 28, 2012). "Shirley Manson interview: Breaking up the garbage girl". Retrieved 2017 - via www.theguardian.com.
- ^ a b "Imagine Dragons, Metric headed to Calgary for June 5 Saddledome show". 6 February 2015. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "If Any Band Has Figured Out Rock's Future in the Mainstream, It's Imagine Dragons". Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "Coachella 2016 Friday Weekend 2 Recap: Prince Tributes by LCD Soundsystem, Jack U, Ellie Goulding & More". Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "Linkin Park, 'Living Things': Track-By-Track Review". Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "Top 10 Artists Whose Songs Sound the Same". Watchmojo.com. Retrieved 2016.
- ^ "Before Dawn, After Midnight: M83 in 10 Songs". 5 April 2016. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "Rock musician Moby and his critically acclaimed memoir 'Porcelain' are set for the Register Book Club's next event". 28 April 2017. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ LLC, SPIN Media (1 December 2006). "SPIN". SPIN Media LLC. Retrieved 2017 - via Google Books.
- ^ Inc, Nielsen Business Media (27 October 2001). "Billboard". Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved 2017 - via Google Books.
- ^ Brown, August (November 8, 2013). "Watch Nine Inch Nails make their network TV debut with Jimmy Kimmel". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ Trynka, Paul; Bacon, Tony (1996). Rock Hardware. Hal Leonard Corporation. p. 57. ISBN 9780879304287.
- ^ DK (2013). Music. Penguin. p. 337. ISBN 9781465421265.
- ^ "Julien-K - California Noir - Chapter Two: Nightlife in Neon (Album Review) - Cryptic Rock". crypticrock.com. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "Pendulum's Management Kept the Band Together, Not Rob Swire". 21 August 2017. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ Horn, David (5 October 2017). "Bloomsbury Encyclopedia of Popular Music of the World, Volume 11: Genres: Europe". Bloomsbury Publishing USA. Retrieved 2017 - via Google Books.
- ^ "28 Underrated Musical Artists You Should Be Listening To Right Now". Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "Radiohead started a sonic revolution 25 years ago, and is still leading it". 23 April 2017. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ Lester, Paul (19 July 2011). "New band of the day - No 1,065: Wolfette". Retrieved 2017 - via www.theguardian.com.
- ^ "Daft Flunks: The Grammys' Rocky Relationship With EDM". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "Album Review: Starset - Vessels". Strife Magazine. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ Matos, Michaelangelo. "U.S.E.: Loveworld". Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "AC/DC 'Bust's to No. 1 on Top Rock Albums". Retrieved 2017.
- ^ bravewords.com. "BLOOD STAIN CHILD - Official Video For Forthcoming Single "Trance Dead Kingdom" Released". Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "Boys Noize and Skrillex Tease New Dog Blood Tune Before HARD Summer 2017: Watch". Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "The best autumn gigs in Scotland". 3 October 2007. Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "Unearthing The Electronic Metal Underground". Retrieved 2017.
- ^ "Industrial Legends Ministry Pummeled The Van Buren". Phoenix New Times. Retrieved 2017.