Ethylene tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE) is a fluorine-based plastic. It was designed to have high corrosion resistance and strength over a wide temperature range. ETFE is a polymer and its source-based name is poly(ethene-co-tetrafluoroethene). ETFE has a relatively high melting temperature, excellent chemical, electrical and high-energy radiation resistance properties. When burned, ETFE releases hydrofluoric acid.
Useful comparison tables of PTFE against FEP, PFA and ETFE can be found on DuPont's website, listing the mechanical, thermal, chemical, electrical, and vapour properties of each, side by side.
ETFE is effectively the high-strength version of the other three in this group, often featuring slightly diminished capacities in other fields by comparison.
Combustion of ETFE occurs in the same way as a number of other fluoropolymers, in terms of releasing hydrofluoric acid (HF). HF is extremely corrosive and toxic, and so appropriate caution must be exercised.
ETFE film is self-cleaning (due to its nonstick surface) and recyclable. It is prone to punctures by sharp edges and therefore mostly used for roofs. As a film for roofing it could be stretched (up to 3x) and still be taut if some variation in size occurs (due to thermal expansion, for example.) Employing heat welding, tears can be repaired with a patch or multiple sheets assembled into larger panels.
ETFE has an approximate tensile strength of 42 MPa (6100 psi), with a working temperature range of to ( to or to ).
ETFE resins are resistant to ultraviolet light. An accelerated weathering test (comparable to 30 years' exposure) produced almost no signs of film deterioration.
An example of its use is as pneumatic panels to cover the outside of the football stadium Allianz Arena or the Beijing National Aquatics Centre (a.k.a. the Water Cube of the 2008 Olympics) - the world's largest structure made of ETFE film (laminate). The panels of the Eden Project are also made from ETFE, and the Tropical Islands have a 20,000 m2 window made from this translucent material.
Another key use of ETFE is for the covering of electrical and fiber-optic wiring used in high-stress, low-fume-toxicity and high-reliability situations. Aircraft and spacecraft wiring are primary examples. Some small cross-section wires like the wire used for the wire-wrap technique are coated with ETFE.
As a dual laminate, ETFE can be bonded with FRP as a thermoplastic liner and used in pipes, tanks, and vessels for additional corrosion protection.
ETFE is commonly used in the nuclear industry for tie or cable wraps and in the aviation and aerospace industries for wire coatings. This is because ETFE has better mechanical toughness than PTFE. In addition, ETFE exhibits a high-energy radiation resistance and can withstand moderately high temperatures for a long period.
Commercially deployed brand names of ETFE include Tefzel by DuPont, Fluon by Asahi Glass Company, Neoflon ETFE by Daikin, and Texlon by Vector Foiltec.
Due to its high temperature resistance ETFE is also used in film mode as a mold-release film. ETFE film offered by Guarniflon or Airtech International and Honeywell is used in aerospace applications such as carbon fiber pre-preg curing as a release film for molds or hot high-pressure plates.
ETFE cushions roof with integrated photovoltaic cells. Munich's municipal waste management department
Notable buildings and designs using ETFE as a significant architectural element:
National Space Centre, Leicester UK
- U.S. Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
- National Space Centre, Leicester, United Kingdom
- Cuauhtémoc Stadium, Puebla, México.
- Midland Metropolitan Hospital, Smethwick, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Other notable construction
- Hard Rock Stadium, Miami Gardens, Florida, United States
- Banc of California Stadium. Los Angeles, California, Unite States 
- Avenues Phase-III, Al-Rai, Kuwait
- Dworzec Tramwajowy Centrum, tram station in ?ód?, Poland.
- Solaris, Clamart, France
- Discovery College, Lantau Island, Hong Kong
- Green 18, Hong Kong Science Park, Hong Kong
- Pavilion, Alnwick Castle, Alnwick, United Kingdom
- BC Place, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada,
Detail of Beijing National Aquatics Centre showing ETFE exterior cushions
- River Culture Pavillon The ARC, Daegu, South Korea
- Munich's municipal waste management department, Munich, Germany
- Beijing National Stadium, Beijing, China
- FestiveWalk, Resorts World at Sentosa, Singapore
- Dolce Vita Tejo Shopping Centre, Amadora, Lisbon, Portugal
- roof, dedicated underground rail station at the Heathrow Airport Terminal 5, London, United Kingdom
- Manchester Victoria station concourse, Manchester, United Kingdom
- Forsyth Barr Stadium at University Plaza, Dunedin, New Zealand
- Islazul Shopping Centre, Madrid, Spain
- Kansas City Power & Light District, Kansas City, Missouri, United States
- South Campus skylight structures, Art Center College of Design, Pasadena, California, United States
- Tanaka Business School, London, United Kingdom
ETFE Facade with integrated LED Lights
- Tropical Islands, Brandenburg, Germany
- Barnsley Interchange, Barnsley, United Kingdom
- The Mall Athens, Athens, Greece
- Newport railway station, Newport, United Kingdom
- The Elements, Livingston, United Kingdom
- Experimental Media and Performing Arts Center, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, New York, United States
- Arena Pernambuco, Recife, Brazil
- Sandton City, Sandton, South Africa
- Key West Shopping Centre, Krugersdorp, South Africa
- Oceanus Casino, Macau, Special Administrative Region of China.
- Masdar city, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- ISS Building Lancaster University
- Empire City Casino, Yonkers, New York, United States
- The SSE Hydro, Glasgow, Scotland
- Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodal Center, California (12-13-14)
- National Stadium, Singapore
- Orto Botanico di Padova Biodiversity Garden roof, Padua, Italy
- Guangzhou South Railway Station, China
- Yujiapu Railway Station, China
- Persian Garden, Iran Mall, Tehran, Iran
- Anoeta Stadium, San Sebastian, Spain
- Ed Kaplan Family Institute for Innovation and Tech Entrepreneurship, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, Illinois
- Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, Georgia (2017)
- UQ Global Change Institute Living Building, Brisbane, Australia (2013)
- SoFi Stadium. Inglewood, California, USA 
- Avenues Phase IV & IVB, Al-Rai, Kuwait
- Jungle Exhibit, Sedgwick County Zoo, Wichita, Kansas (2015), United States
- Allegiant Stadium, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
- West End Stadium, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
- Dockside Pavilion, Sydney Australia (2014)
- Baku Olympic Stadium, Baku, Azerbaijan (2015)
- Australian Embassy, Jakarta, Indonesia (2014)
- Wharf Retail, Bluewaters Island, DUBAI (2016)
- Carlisle Railway Station, Carlisle, Cumbria (2017)
- Oxigeno, San Francisco, Heredia Province, Costa Rica
- The Shed (Hudson Yards). Manhattan, New York, USA
- Jakarta International Stadium, Jakarta, Indonesia.
Primark Birmingham, UK