Get Helwingiaceae essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Helwingiaceae discussion
. Add Helwingiaceae
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
The genus Helwingia consists of shrubs native to eastern Asia, the Himalayas, and northern Indochina. It is the only genus in the family Helwingiaceae.
The plants have alternate leaves and small inflorescences which are epiphyllous (growing from the leaves). They are from temperate regions of eastern Asia: for example China, Nepal, and Japan.
The APG II classification (2003) places them in the order Aquifoliales, along with the hollies and Phyllonomaceae.
The family Helwingiaceae does not exist in the
Cronquist classification (1981), which places this genus in the Cornaceae (dogwood family).
- Helwingia chinensis Batalin - Thailand, Myanmar, Gansu, Guizhou, Hubei, Hunan, Shaanxi, Sichuan, Tibet, Yunnan
- Helwingia himalaica Hook.f. & Thomson ex C.B.Clarke - Thailand, Myanmar, Assam, Bhutan, Nepal, Sikkim, Tibet, Chongqing, Guangdong, Guangxi, Guizhou, Hubei, Hunan, Sichuan, Yunnan
- Helwingia japonica (Thunb.) F.Dietr. - Japan, Ryukyu Islands, Korea, Taiwan, Myanmar, Assam, Bhutan, Vietnam, Sikkim, Anhui, Fujian, Gansu, Guangdong, Guangxi, Guizhou, Henan, Hubei, Hunan, Jiangsu, Jiangxi, Shaanxi, Shandong, Shanxi, Sichuan, Yunnan, Zhejiang
- Helwingia omeiensis (W.P.Fang) H.Hara & S.Kuros. - Gansu, Guangxi, Guizhou, Hubei, Hunan, Shaanxi, Sichuan, Yunnan
- Aquifoliales - Angiosperm Phylogeny Website, consulted 2007-01-26.
- Helwingiaceae, Watson, L., and Dallwitz, M.J. 1992 onwards. The families of flowering plants: descriptions, illustrations, identification, and information retrieval. Version: 29 July 2006.
- Helwingiaceae from NCBI-Taxonomy
- Helwingiaceae, USDA, ARS, National Genetic Resources Program. Germplasm Resources Information Network - (GRIN Online Database). National Germplasm Resources Laboratory, Beltsville, Maryland. Consulted 2007-01-26.