Get Howell Binkley essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Howell Binkley discussion
. Add Howell Binkley
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Howell Binkley is a professional lighting designer in New York City. He received the Tony Award for Best Lighting Design in a Musical for Jersey Boys in 2006, and again in 2016 for Hamilton.
Binkley attended East Carolina University in Greenville, North Carolina where he started his career working with dance programs.
He has lit a plethora of major Broadway shows, including many for Hal Prince and is a frequent collaborator with director Des McAnuff. He is also a collaborator and co-founder of David Parsons's Parsons Dance Company. He has worked at regional theaters such as La Jolla, San Diego, California, Shakespeare Theatre DC, Old Globe Theatre, the Guthrie Theater, The Goodman Theatre, and Hartford Stage.
Binkley is well known
for his use of saturated color, accompanied by white or slightly cool highlights. He frequently uses smoke or haze to draw attention to his use of angle. His designs are partly based upon Craig Miller and Tom Skelton's use of cross focussing to make diamond effects.
- Kiss of the Spider Woman (Broadway, 1993) - Tony Award nomination
- Minnelli on Minnelli (Concert, 1999)
- Parade (Broadway, 1998) - Drama Desk Award nomination
- The Full Monty (Broadway, 2000)- Drama Desk Award nomination
- Bounce (Broadway, 2003)
- Golda's Balcony (Off Broadway, 2008 / Broadway, 2003)
- Avenue Q (Broadway, 2003 / London, 2006)
- Radiant Baby (Off-Broadway, 2003) - Lucille Lortel Award nomination
- Jersey Boys (Broadway, 2005 / London, 2008) - Tony Award win
- LoveMusik (Broadway, 2007) - Drama Desk Award win
- In the Heights (Broadway, 2008) - Tony Award nomination
- Bridge and Tunnel (Broadway, 2006)
- West Side Story (Broadway revival, 2009) - Tony Award nomination
- Lombardi (Broadway, 2010)
- Baby It's You! (Broadway, 2011)
- How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying (Broadway revival, 2011) - Tony Award nomination
- After Midnight (Broadway, 2013) - Tony Award nomination
- Hamilton (Off-Broadway/Broadway, 2015) - Tony Award win