Get Keyvan Shovir essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Keyvan Shovir discussion
. Add Keyvan Shovir
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Keyvan Heydari-Shovir (Persian: ?; born September 1985), also known as CK1, is an Iranian contemporary artist and street artist based in San Francisco. His work combines Iranian traditional culture with contemporary pop culture. Shovir is a pioneer of Iranian graffiti art.
Shovir was among the first artists that established the Iranian graffiti movement that emerged in Tehran in 2002. He uses Persian alphabet and Islamic art motifs in his work, exploring Iranian poets like Hafez and Rumi. His stencils are inspired by Persian miniature art. He obtained his BA in Painting from the University of Tabriz and is a Master of Fine Arts candidate at the California College of the Arts in San Francisco.
He has done several street and public art projects in San Francisco. In Clarion Alley, Shovir put up murals with Shaghayegh Cyrous in the memory of three female Iranian literary figures - Forough Farrokhzad, Simin Behbahani, and Simin Daneshvar. He also did a project backed by SFMTA and the Chinese Culture Center.
Shovir was featured in the documentary Mutiny of Colours (2016) as one of Iran's formative street artists.
- Once at Present - Contemporary Art of the Iranian Diaspora, curated by Kevin B. Chen and Taraneh Hemami, Minnesota Street Project-March 29 - April 20, 2019
- Bankgit Arise, an Art Residency and Cultural Exchange between Indonesia and the United States, Asian Art Museum and Clarion Alley Mural Project, Asian Art Museum, San Francisco, CA,2018
- Art for Peace at Temple Art Loft, Vallejo, CA,2018
- Commencement Exhibition, California College of the Arts, San Francisco, CA,2018
- Betweenescapes curated by Kathy Zarur and Roula Seikaly at SOMArts Cultural Center, San Francisco, CA,2018
- CCA MFA Thesis Exhibition at Minnesota Street Project, 2018, San Francisco, CA
- A Conversation on Race & identity Curated by Jan Marlese at LH Horton Jr Art Gallery at Delta College in Stockton,2018
- Seven Valleys, Exhibition by Artists-In-Residence Lauren Marie Taylor and Keyvan Shovir Chandra Cerrito Contemporary, Oakland, CA,2018
- Collaboration & Connection, In Collaboration with Lauren Marie Taylor, The 4th Interfaith Art Exhibition Biennial Islamic Cultural Center of Northern California, Oakland CA ,2018
- Ascension Series, 7th Annual Misfit Maker Factory, Root Division Gallery, San Francisco, 2017
- Ascension Series, Make Art/Work - 2017, College Avenue Galleries, Oakland, 2017
- Mihrab, Neighbors, Embark Gallery, San Francisco, 2017
- Conversation of the Birds, The Murphy & Cadogan Art Awards Exhibition, SOMArts Cultural Center, San Francisco, 2017
- Conversation of the Birds, Root Division Gallery, San Francisco, 2017
- Unity, In collaboration with Taraneh Hemami, Project of Survival, Southern Exposure (SoEx), San Francisco, 2014