Get Markus Stockhausen essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Markus Stockhausen discussion
. Add Markus Stockhausen
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Markus Stockhausen (born May 2, 1957) is a German trumpeter and composer. His recordings and performances have typically alternated between jazz and chamber or opera music, the latter often in collaboration with his father, composer Karlheinz Stockhausen.
Born in Cologne, he is the son of composer Karlheinz Stockhausen. At age four he appeared as "child at play" in his father's theatre piece Originale. He received his first piano lessons at age six, and at age twelve he began to play the trumpet. He attended the music secondary school in Cologne.
Concerts and festival appearances, also for the Goethe Institute, have taken him around the world. In November 2008 he gave the first performance of Freedom Variations, a composition for trumpet and chamber ensemble written by Italian composer Lorenzo Ferrero.
- Aparis (ECM, 1989)
- Cosi Lontano...Quasi Dentro (ECM, 1991)
- Köln Musik Fantasy (1991)
- Stockhausen: Michaels Reise (ECM, 1992)
- Despite the Fire-Fighters' Efforts... (Polygram/ECM/Universal, 1993)
- New Colours of Piccolo Trumpet (EMI Classics, 1993)
- Stockhausen: Oberlippentanz; Ave; Tierkreis (Trio-Version) (Stockhausen-Verlag, 1993)
- Stockhausen: Markus Trumpete (Stockhausen-Verlag, 1994)
- Clown (EMI, 1995)
- Possible Worlds (CMP, 1995)
- Cologne Music Fantasy (Largo, 1996)
- Sol Mestizo (ACT, 1996)
- Markus Stockhausen Plays Karlheinz Stockhausen (EMI Classics, 1998)
- Solo I (Aktivraum, 2000)
- Still Light (MA, 2000)
- In Deiner Nahe (Aktivraum, 2001)
- Karta (ECM, 2001)
- Close to You (Aktivraum, 2001)
- Lichtblick: Prima, Altrove... (Aktivraum, 2004)
- Nonduality (Aktivraum, 2004)
- Thinking About (Aktivraum, 2004)
- Mozart, La Nuit Jazz 'n' Groove (Nocturne, 2005)
- Es War Einmal...Instanti Infiniti (Aktivraum, 2007)
- Streams (Enja, 2007)
- Abendglühen (Aktivraum, 2008)
- Electric Treasures: Live in Bonn (Aktivraum, 2008)
- No Matter (Metastation, 2008)
- Symbiosis: Werke von Markus Stockhausen für Klarinette und Trompete und Streichorchester (Aktivraum, 2008)
- Other Presences (Sargasso, 2008)
- Symphonic Colours (2009)
- Spaces & Spheres: Intuitive Music (Wergo, 2013)
- Markus Stockhausen and the Metropole Orkest (Intuition, 2013)
- Atlas (2015)
- Alba (ECM/Universal, 2016)
With Rainer Brüninghaus
With Ralph Towner
- Sanz, Pablo (2006). "Markus Stockhausen, una mirada fuera de plano". Scherzo: Revista de música 21, no. 210 (July-August): 136-37.
- Tarr, Edward H. (2001). "Stockhausen, Markus". The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, second edition, edited by Stanley Sadie and John Tyrrell. London: Macmillan Publishers.