Get NESDB essential facts below. View Videos
or join the NESDB discussion
. Add NESDB
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Office of the National Economic and Social Development Council
- National Economic Council (NEC) (1950)
- National Economic Development Council (NEDC) (1959)
- National Economic and Social Development Board (NESDB) (1972)
|Jurisdiction||Kingdom of Thailand|
|Annual budget||609.7 million baht (FY2019)|
- Sanit Aksornkoae, Chairman
- Thosaporn Sirisamphand, Secretary-General
|Parent agency||Office of the Prime Minister|
The Office of the National Economic and Social Development Council (NESDC) is a national economic planning agency of Thailand. It is a government department reporting directly to the Office of the Prime Minister. The NESDC maintains four regional offices in Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Songkhla, and Nonthaburi.:20 Sanit Aksornkoae, Chairman of the NESDC, stated that in 2018 the Office of the National Economic and Social Development Board (NESDB) underwent a major revamp, including being officially renamed the NESDC. The NESDC's Secretary-General is Thosaporn Sirisamphand, appointed 4 July 2018. Its FY2019 budget is 609.7 million baht.
- Established on 15 February 1950 as the National Economic Council (NEC)
- Renamed the Office of the National Economic Development Board (NEDB) in 1959.
- Launched the first National Economic Development Plan in 1961
- Reformed as the National Economic and Social Development Board (NESDB) in 1972, under the Prime Minister's Office
- Reformed as the National Economic and Social Development Council (NESDC) in 2018, under the Prime Minister's Office
NESDC is Thailand's central planning agency responsible for crafting strategies for balanced and sustainable development in the national interest.
- Formulate the five-year National Economic and Social Development Plan. The current plan is The Twelfth National Economic and Social Development Plan, 2017-2021. The aims of the Twelfth Plan are consistent with the targets of the 20-year national strategy (2017-2036).:4
The NESDC is composed of two main components:
- Composed of 23 members
- Provides recommendations and comments on national economic and social development to the prime minister and cabinet
- Coordinates NESDC efforts and those of related government agencies and state enterprises to formulate plans, development projects, and implementation plans.
Office of the NESDC