Norsk Biografisk Leksikon
Get Norsk Biografisk Leksikon essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Norsk Biografisk Leksikon discussion
. Add Norsk Biografisk Leksikon
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Norsk Biografisk Leksikon
Norsk biografisk leksikon is the largest Norwegian biographical encyclopedia.
The first edition (NBL1) was issued between 1921 and 1983, including 19 volumes and 5,100 articles. It was published by Aschehoug with economic support from the state.
Kunnskapsforlaget bought the rights to NBL1 from Aschehoug in 1995, and after a pre-project in 1996-97 the work for a new edition began in 1998. The project had economic support from the Fritt Ord Foundation and the Ministry of Culture, and the second edition (NBL2) was launched in the years 1999-2005, including 10 volumes and ca. 5,700 articles. In 2006 the work for an electronic edition of NBL2 began, with support from the same institutions. In 2009 an Internet edition, with free access, was released by Kunnskapsforlaget together with the general-purpose Store norske leksikon. The electronic edition features additional biographies, and updates about dates of death of biographees. Apart from that, the vast body of text is unaltered from the printed version.
List of volumes
This is a list of volumes in the second edition of Norsk biografisk leksikon.
- Volume 1: Abel-Bruusgaard. Published 1999
- Volume 2: Bry-Ernø. Published 2000
- Volume 3: Escholt-Halvdan. Published 2001
- Volume 4: Halvorsen-Ibsen. Published 2001
- Volume 5: Ihlen-Larsson. Published 2002
- Volume 6: Lassen-Nitter. Published 2003
- Volume 7: Njøs-Samuelsen. Published 2003
- Volume 8: Sand-Sundquist. Published 2004
- Volume 9: Sundt-Wikborg. Published 2005
- Volume 10: Wilberg-Aavik, plus extra material. Published 2005
This is a list of volumes in the first edition of Norsk biografisk leksikon.
- Volume 1: Aabel-Bjørnson. Published 1923
- Volume 2: Bjørnstad-Christian Frederik. Published 1925
- Volume 3: Christiansen-Eyvind Urarhorn. Published 1926
- Volume 4: Fabricius-Grodtschilling. Published 1929
- Volume 5: Grosch-Helkand. Published 1931
- Volume 6: Helland-Lars Jensen. Published 1934
- Volume 7: Lars O. Jensen-Krefting. Published 1936
- Volume 8: Kristensen-Løwenhielm. Published 1938
- Volume 9: Madsen-Nansen. Published 1940
- Volume 10: Narve-Harald C. Pedersen. Published 1949
- Volume 11: Oscar Pedersen-Ross. Published 1952
- Volume 12: Rosseland-Schult. Published 1954
- Volume 13: Schultz-Skramstad. Published 1958
- Volume 14: Skredsvig-Stenersen. Published 1962
- Volume 15: Stensaker-Sørbrøden. Published 1966
- Volume 16: Sørensen-Alf Torp. Published 1969
- Volume 17: Eivind Torp-Vidnes. Published 1975
- Volume 18: Vig-Henrik Wergeland. Published 1977
- Volume 19: N. Wergeland-Øyen. Published 1983