Oberfeldwebel (OFw or OF) is the fourth-lowest non-commissioned officer (NCO) rank in German Army and German Air Force.
The rank was introduced first by the German Reichswehr in 1920. Preferable most experienced Protégée-NCO of the old army have been promoted.
The Reichswehr Oberfeldwebel (OR-7) was taken over as second-highest Protégée-NCO rank by the German Wehrmacht in 1935. In the military branch cavalry, artillery and anti-aircraft artillery it was called Oberwachtmeister.
The equivalent rank to the Oberfeldwebel in the Waffen-SS was the SS-Hauptscharführer from 1938 until 1945.
The rank has been used in the GDR National People's Army from 1956 until 1990 as well.
It is grouped as OR6 in NATO, equivalent in the US Army to Staff Sergeant, or in British Army / RAF to Sergeant.
In army/ air force context NCOs of this rank were formally addressed as Herr Oberfeldwebel also informally / short Oberfeld.
The sequence of ranks (top-down approach) in that particular group (Senior NCOs with portepee) is as follows:
The abbreviation "OR" stands for "Other Ranks / fr: sous-officiers et militaires du rang / ru?, "!
Equivalent in other NATO countries Army/Air Force
- - Tetar / no equivalent
- - 1er sergeant-chef and 1er sergeant
- - ? (en: Sershant)
- - Sergeant
- - Narednik
- - Nadrotmistr/
- - no equivalent
- - Veebel/
- - Sergent-chef; Maréchal-des-logis-chef
- - ; Epilochias
- - Törzs?rmester
- - Flokkstjóri 1.
- - Sergente maggiore
- - Virsser?ants
- - Vyresnysis ser?antas
- - N.N.
- - Sergeant der 1e klasse; Wachtmeester der 1e klasse
- - no equivalent
- - Starszy sier?ant
- - Primeiro-sargento
- - Rotný
- - Vi?ji vodnik
- - Sargento
- - Astsubay K?demli Çavu?
- - (en: Starshina)
- - Sergeant (British Army/Royal Air Force)
- - Staff Sergeant(US Army)/Technical Sergeant (USAF)
- BROCKHAUS, Die Enzyklopädie in 24 Bänden (1796-2001), Band 5: 3-7653-3665-3, S. 487, Definition: Oberfeldwebel
- BROCKHAUS, Die Enzyklopädie in 24 Bänden (1796-2001), Band 7: 3-7653-3676-9, S. 185, Oberfeldwebel