Browse the Outline of Sports below. View Videos
or join the discussion
on this topic. Add Outline of Sports
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Outline of Sports
The following outline is provided as an overview of and topical guide to sports:
Sport – a physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively, sports can be played on land, in water and in the air.
What is a sport?
Sports can be described as all of the following:
- Entertainment – Any sport that includes spectators, either free or paid admission, with no pre-scripted plot of the final outcome. The athletics might also get entertained by complete sports objective.
- Exercise – some sports are physical exercise while others are mental exercise.
Types of sports
List of sports
List of sports
Sport by region
- West Africa
- Benin o Burkina Faso o Cape Verde o Côte d'Ivoire o Gambia o Ghana o Guinea o Guinea-Bissau o Liberia o Mali o Mauritania o Niger o Nigeria o Senegal o Sierra Leone o Togo
- North Africa
- Algeria o Egypt o Libya o Mauritania o Morocco o Sudan o Tunisia o Western Sahara
- Central Africa
- Angola o Burundi o Cameroon o Central African Republic o Chad o The Democratic Republic of the Congo o Equatorial Guinea o Gabon o Republic of the Congo o Rwanda o São Tomé and Príncipe
- East Africa
- Burundi o Comoros o Djibouti o Eritrea o Ethiopia o Kenya o Madagascar o Malawi o Mauritius o Mozambique o Rwanda o Seychelles o Somalia o Tanzania o Uganda o Zambia o Zimbabwe
- Southern Africa
- Botswana o Lesotho o Namibia o South Africa o Swaziland
- Mayotte (France) o St. Helena (UK) o Puntland o Somaliland o Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic
- Central Asia
- Kazakhstan o Kyrgyzstan o Tajikistan o Turkmenistan o Uzbekistan
- East Asia
- Hong Kong o Macau
- Japan o North Korea o South Korea o Mongolia o Taiwan
- North Asia
- Southeast Asia
- Brunei o Burma (Myanmar) o Cambodia o East Timor (Timor-Leste) o Indonesia o Laos o Malaysia o Philippines o Singapore o Thailand o Vietnam
- South Asia
- Afghanistan o Bangladesh o Bhutano Iran o Maldives o Nepal o Pakistan o Sri Lanka
- West Asia
- Armenia o Azerbaijan o Bahrain o Cyprus (including disputed Northern Cyprus) o Georgia o Iraq o Israel o Jordan o Kuwait o Lebanon o Oman o Palestine Qatar o Saudi Arabia o Syria o Turkey o United Arab Emirates o Yemen
Caucasus (a region considered to be in both Asia and Europe, or between them)
- North Caucasus
- Parts of Russia (Chechnya, Ingushetia, Dagestan, Adyghea, Kabardino-Balkaria, Karachay-Cherkessia, North Ossetia, Krasnodar Krai, Stavropol Krai)
- South Caucasus
- Georgia (including disputed Abkhazia, South Ossetia) o Armenia o Azerbaijan (including disputed Nagorno-Karabakh Republic)
- Akrotiri and Dhekelia o Åland o Albania o Andorra o Armenia o Austria o Azerbaijan o Belarus o Belgium o Bosnia and Herzegovina o Bulgaria o Croatia o Cyprus o Czech Republic o Denmark o Estonia o Faroe Islands o Finland o France o Georgia o Germany o Gibraltar o Greece o Guernsey o Hungary o Iceland o Ireland o Isle of Man o Italy o Jersey o Kazakhstan o Kosovo o Latvia o Liechtenstein o Lithuania o Luxembourg o Macedonia o Malta o Moldova (including disputed Transnistria) o Monaco o Montenegro o Netherlands o Norway o Poland o Portugal o Romania o Russia o San Marino o Serbia o Slovakia o Slovenia o Spain o Svalbard o Sweden o Switzerland o Turkey o Ukraine
- United Kingdom
- England o Northern Ireland o Scotland o Wales
- Vatican City
- European Union
- Greenland o Mexico o Saint Pierre and Miquelon
- United States
- Alabama o Alaska o Arizona o Arkansas o California o Colorado o Connecticut o Delaware o Florida o Georgia o Hawaii o Idaho o Illinois o Indiana o Iowa o Montana o Kansas o Kentucky o Louisiana o Maine o Maryland o Massachusetts o Michigan o Minnesota o Mississippi o Missouri o Nebraska o Nevada o New Hampshire o New Jersey o New Mexico o New York o North Carolina o North Dakota o Ohio o Oklahoma o Oregon o Pennsylvania o Rhode Island o South Carolina o South Dakota o Tennessee o Texas o Utah o Vermont o Virginia o Washington o West Virginia o Wisconsin o Wyoming
- District of Columbia (Washington, D.C.)
- Central America
- Belize o Costa Rica o El Salvador o Guatemala o Honduras o Nicaragua o Panama
- Anguilla o Antigua and Barbuda o Aruba o Bahamas o Barbados o Bermuda o British Virgin Islands o Cayman Islands o Cuba o Dominica o Dominican Republic o Grenada o Haiti o Jamaica o Montserrat o Netherlands Antilles o Puerto Rico o Saint Barthélemy o Saint Kitts and Nevis o Saint Lucia o Saint Martin o Saint Vincent and the Grenadines o Trinidad and Tobago o Turks and Caicos Islands o United States Virgin Islands
- Oceania (includes the continent of Australia)
- Dependencies/Territories of Australia
- Christmas Island o Cocos (Keeling) Islands o Norfolk Island
- New Zealand
- Fiji o Indonesia (Oceanian part only) o New Caledonia (France) o Papua New Guinea o Solomon Islands o Vanuatu o
- Federated States of Micronesia o Guam (US) o Kiribati o Marshall Islands o Nauru o Northern Mariana Islands (USA) o Palau o Wake Island (USA) o
- American Samoa (USA) o Chatham Islands (NZ) o Cook Islands (NZ) o Easter Island (Chile) o French Polynesia (France) o Hawaii (USA) o Loyalty Islands (France) o Niue (NZ) o Pitcairn Islands (UK) o Adamstown o Samoa o Tokelau (NZ) o Tonga o Tuvalu o Wallis and Futuna (France)
- Argentina o Bolivia o Brazil o Chile o Colombia o Ecuador o Falkland Islands o Guyana o Paraguay o Peru o Suriname o Uruguay o Venezuela
- Ascension Island o Saint Helena o Tristan da Cunha
History of sports
History of sports
Sports in court
- American football
- Association football
- Other sports
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2017)
Sports and media
Sports television programs
Sports ethics and conduct
Sports venue features
Sports and politics
Politics and sports
Sports governing bodies
Sports governing body
This section needs expansion
. You can help by adding to it. (June 2009)
World governing bodies of various notable sports:
Sociology of sport
Sociology of sport
- ^ Kazakhstan is sometimes considered a transcontinental country in Central Asia and Eastern Europe; population and area figures are for Asian portion only.
- ^ The state is commonly known as simply "China", which is subsumed by the eponymous entity and civilization (China).
- ^ Hong Kong is a Special Administrative Region (SAR) of the PRC.
- ^ Macau is a Special Administrative Region (SAR) of the PRC.
- ^ Under the de facto control of the Republic of China (ROC) government, commonly referred to as Taiwan. Claimed in whole by the PRC; see political status of Taiwan.
- ^ Russia is a transcontinental country; population and area figures are for Asian portion only.
- ^ Excludes Christmas Island and Cocos (Keeling) Islands (Australian external territories in the Indian Ocean southwest of Indonesia).
- ^ General Population Census of Cambodia 2008 - Provisional population totals, National Institute of Statistics, Ministry of Planning, released 3 September 2008
- ^ East Timor is often considered a transcontinental country in Southeastern Asia and Oceania.
- ^ Indonesia is often considered a transcontinental country in Southeastern Asia and Oceania
- ^ Includes Jammu and Kashmir, a contested territory among India, Pakistan, and the PRC.
- ^ Armenia is sometimes considered a transcontinental country physiographically in Western Asia, it has historical and sociopolitical connections with Europe.
- ^ Azerbaijan is often considered a transcontinental country in Western Asia and Eastern Europe; population and area figures are for Asian portion only. Figures include Nakhchivan, an autonomous exclave of Azerbaijan bordered by Armenia, Iran, and Turkey.
- ^ The island of Cyprus is sometimes considered a transcontinental territory in the Eastern Basin of the Mediterranean Sea south of Turkey, it has historical and socio-political connections with Europe. The U.N. considers Cyprus to be in Western Asia, while the C.I.A. considers it to be in the Middle East.
- ^ Georgia is often considered a transcontinental country in Western Asia and Eastern Europe; population and area figures are for the Asian portion only.
- ^ Gaza and West Bank, collectively referred to as the "Occupied Palestinian Territory" by the UN, are territories partially occupied by Israel but under de facto administration of the Palestinian National Authority.
- ^ Turkey is generally considered a transcontinental country in Western Asia and Southern Europe; population and area figures are for Asian portion only, excluding all of Istanbul.
- ^ The use and scope of this term varies. The UN designation for this subregion is "Australia and New Zealand."
- ^ Christmas Island and Cocos (Keeling) Islands are Australian external territories in the Indian Ocean southwest of Indonesia.
- ^ New Zealand is often considered part of Polynesia rather than Australasia.
- ^ Excludes parts of Indonesia, island territories in Southeast Asia (UN region) frequently reckoned in this region.
- ^ Indonesia is generally considered a territory of Southeastern Asia (UN region); wholly or partially, it is also frequently included in Australasia or Melanesia. Figures include Indonesian portion of New Guinea (Irian Jaya) and Maluku Islands.
- ^ Papua New Guinea is often considered part of Australasia as well as Melanesia.
- ^ Excludes the US state of Hawaii, which is distant from the North American landmass in the Pacific Ocean, and Easter Island, a territory of Chile in South America.