The plastics industry manufactures polymer materials -- commonly called plastics -- and offers services in plastics important to a range of industries, including packaging, building and construction, electronics, aerospace, and transportation.
It is part of the chemical industry. In addition, as mineral oil is the major constituent of plastics, it is regarded as a part of the petrochemical industry.
Besides plastics production, plastics engineering is an important part of the industrial sector. The latter field is dominated by engineering plastic as raw material because of its better mechanical and thermal properties than the more widely-used commodity plastics.
According to PlasticsEurope, the top three markets for plastics are packaging, building and construction, and automotive.
Plastics production grows globally. The numbers include thermoplastics and polyurethanes, as well as thermosets, adhesives, coatings and sealants and PP-fibers. Data was gathered by PlasticsEurope (PEMRG) and Consultic.
World plastics production in Mt
Countries and sites
- Beccles is a town in England which is a center of the plastics industry
- Erie, Pennsylvania is a center of the plastics industry in the United States
- Oyonnax is called Plastic Valley in France
- Stenungsund is a town in Sweden which is considered to be a centre for the plastic industry in Scandinavia
Journals and conferences
- NPE - National Plastics Expo (USA)
- Chinaplas (China)
- K (Germany)
- Plastimagen (Mexico)
- Plastivision (India)
- Plastpol (Poland)
- Interplas (United Kingdom)
- Interplastica (Russia)