Get Portal:Canada essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Portal:Canada discussion
. Add Portal:Canada
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Monday, August 10, 2020
Canada is a country in the northern part of North America. Its ten provinces and three territories extend from the Atlantic to the Pacific and northward into the Arctic Ocean, covering 9.98 million square kilometres (3.85 million square miles), making it the world's second-largest country by total area. Its southern and western border with the United States, stretching 8,891 kilometres (5,525 mi), is the world's longest bi-national land border. Canada's capital is Ottawa, and its three largest metropolitan areas are Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver.
A developed country, Canada has the seventeenth-highest nominal per-capita income globally as well as the thirteenth-highest ranking in the Human Development Index. Its advanced economy is the tenth-largest in the world, relying chiefly upon its abundant natural resources and well-developed international trade networks. Canada is part of several major international and intergovernmental institutions or groupings including the United Nations, NATO, the G7, the Group of Ten, the G20, the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement and the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum.
More about...Canada, its history and culture
Featured article -
Featured biography -
National symbol -
Selected vital article -
- August 7, 2020 - Canada-United States relations
- Canada is set to impose $3.6B in tariffs on aluminum products in response to American tariffs on Canadian aluminum. Most affected manufacturers are in three politically sensitive swing states critical to the presidential election. (CBC)
- August 6, 2020 - Trump tariffs
- Trump implements a tariff of 10% on aluminum imports from Canada, pursuant to Section 232 of the US Trade Expansion Act. The United States previously imposed tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum in 2018 citing national security concerns, before removing them last year as part of the USCMA Free Trade Agreement. Prime Minister of Canada Justin Trudeau vows "dollar-for-dollar" countermeasures. (CBC)
- August 6, 2020 - Canada-China relations
- A court in China sentences a Canadian man to death on drug charges. His alleged accomplice receives life imprisonment. Police had confiscated 120 kilograms (266 pounds) of ketamine from the defendant's home. He is the third Canadian citizen to receive the death sentence for drug smuggling since Canadian authorities arrested Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou in late 2018 on an extradition request from the United States. (AP)
- August 6, 2020 -
- Former Saudi Ministry of the Interior official Saad bin Khalid Al Jabry accuses Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman of attempting to assassinate him in Canada, where he currently lives in exile, two weeks after the assassination of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi. The would-be assassins, believed to be the Tiger Squad, were stopped at Toronto Pearson International Airport after Canadian border official became suspicious of them following interviews. (BBC)
- July 28, 2020 - 2020 Nova Scotia attacks
- Following massive public backlash, Public Safety Minister Bill Blair announces a public inquiry will be held over the law enforcement response to the rampage in Nova Scotia, Canada, last April, which left 23 dead, including the gunman. (Global News)
Past Canadian events...
Did you know? -
Featured list -
Selected picture -
Northwest Crown Fire Experiment, Canada
Credit: (Photograph used by permission of the USDA Forest Service.)
Selected panorama -