Province of Lecco
Map highlighting the location of the province of Lecco in Italy
|o President||Claudio Usuelli|
|o Total||805.61 km2 (311.05 sq mi)|
(31 August 2017)
|o Density||420/km2 (1,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|o Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Telephone prefix||0341, 039, 031|
The Province of Lecco was established by the President of the Republic in Decree No. 250 of 6 March 1992. Elections for the appointment of the first President of the Province of Lecco were held on April 23, 1995 (1st round) and May 7, 1995 (runoff). The proclamation of the 1st President, Mario Anghileri, occurred on May 9, 1995.
Due to the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic, Lecco was placed under lockdown on the 8th March 2020
The Province of Lecco is situated in northern central Italy. It is bordered to the north and west by the Province of Como, to the east and north with the Province of Sondrio, to the east by the Province of Bergamo, and to the south with the Province of Monza and Brianza. The province of Lecco has an area of only 805.61 square kilometres (311.05 sq mi), with some 600 square kilometres (230 sq mi) located across the Adda River, in Valsassina. The remaining land is located in the Oggionese, the Casatese and the Meratese, with an additional 16 square kilometres (6.2 sq mi) belonging to the municipality of Oliveto Lario, located on the other side of Lake Como, in Vallassina, within the pre-Alpine Lecchese. 70% of the province is mountainous and the other 30% is hilly. The highest point is Mount Legnone in the north of the province, 2,609 metres (8,560 ft) high; at the center of the spectacular Grigne. In the west, is Monte Cornizzolo lake at 1,240 metres (4,070 ft) and Monte Rai at 1,259 metres (4,131 ft). In the east of the province is Monte Serrada and the Resegone di Lecco, 1,875 metres (6,152 ft) with its characteristic shape reminiscent of the teeth of a saw. In the center-south is Monte Barro at 922 metres (3,025 ft), in the Monte Barro Regional Park.
The province contains numerous lakes, with Lake Como and Lake Annone in the comunes of Garlate and Olginate. To the west, the comunes of Rogeno, Bosisio Parini and Cesana Brianza overlook Lake Pusiano. There is also an abundance of rivers, including the main Adda river and the Lambro, running through Costa Masnaga, Rogeno and Nibionno. Other smaller rivers are the Molgora, the Bévéra, a tributary of the Lambro, the Pioverna flowing in Valsassina, and Varro flowing in Val Varrone.
Airuno, Annone di Brianza, Barzago, Barzanò, Bosisio Parini, Brivio, Bulciago, Calco, Casatenovo, Cassago Brianza, Castello di Brianza, Cernusco Lombardone, Cesana Brianza, Civate, Colle Brianza, Costa Masnaga, Cremella, Dolzago, Ello, Galbiate, Garlate, Garbagnate Monastero, Imbersago, La Valletta Brianza, Lomagna, Merate, Missaglia, Molteno, Montevecchia, Monticello Brianza, Nibionno, Oggiono, Olgiate Molgora, Olginate, Osnago, Paderno d'Adda, Robbiate, Rogeno, Santa Maria Hoè, Sirone, Sirtori, Suello, Valgreghentino, Verderio, Viganò
Media related to Province of Lecco at Wikimedia Commons