Get Servitka Roma essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Servitka Roma discussion
. Add Servitka Roma
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Servitka Roma (Ukrainian , Russian ) is a subgroup of Romani. They formed as a group in Ukraine, where their ancestors had come from Serbia. Servitka Roma are part of the Romani people in Ukraine and in Russia, where they are well integrated into general society. They are also the most numerous group of Ukrainian Roma. Servitka Romani dialect belongs to Ukrainian Group of Romani dialects as classified by L.N. Cherenkov. Most of Servitka Roma speak poor Romani and use many Ukrainian and Russian words.
Servitka Roma are Orthodox Christians. Their traditional occupations are smithing and fortune-telling. In the 19th century many young Servitka Roma also served in Cossack armies.
Presently, Servitka Roma are one of the best-educated Romani groups. They are known as excellent performers of Ruska Romani music and are often incorrectly considered to be Ruska Roma.
Well-known Servitka Roma
- Eugene Hütz, musician
- Mikhail Erdenko, violinist, music composer
- Valentin Baglaenko, singer, theatre and cinema actor
- Nikolai Slichenko, theatre and cinema actor, Romen Theatre director
- Nickolai Erdenko, singer, creator of "Dzhang" group
- Sasha Kolpakov and Vadim Kolpakov, guitarists
- Yury Ivanenko, president of Ukrainian Romani Congress, publisher of children literature in Romani
- Sergei Erdenko, violinist, one of creators of "Loyko" group
- Rozalia, Radda and Leonsia Erdenko, singers
"Beliefs of Ukrainian Roma as historic-religion resource" by Olexandr Belikov (" ? -? ?", ?)