Get Ubaza essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Ubaza discussion
. Add Ubaza
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Ubaza was an ancient city and bishopric in Roman North Africa, which remains a Latin titular see.
Ubaza was among the many towns in the Roman province of Numidia that were important enough to become a suffragan bishopric, but faded. Its present location is in modern Terrebaza, Algeria.
Its only recorded residential bishops both attended the council called in 484 at Carthage by Huneric of the Vandal Kingdom :
- the Catholic Victor, banished afterwards
- the Donastist heretic Secondinus.
The diocese was nominally restored in 1928 as Latin titular bishopric of Ubaza (Latin = Curiate Italian) / Ubazen(sis) (Latin adjective).
It has had the following incumbents, so far of the fitting Episcopal (lowest) rank:
- Aston Sebastian Joseph Chichester, Jesuits (S.J.) (1931.03.04 - 1955.01.01) as last Apostolic Vicar of Salisbury (the (Southern) Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe) (1931.03.04 - 1955.01.01), later first Metropolitan Archbishop of Salisbury (now Harare, Zimbabwe) (1955.01.01 - 1956.11.23), emeritate as Titular Archbishop of Velebusdus (1956.11.23 - death 1962.10.24)
- Patrick H. Cronin, Columban Missionaries (S.S.C.M.E.) (1955.05.24 - 1970.10.13) as Bishop-Prelate of Territorial Prelature of Ozamis (Philippines) (1955.05.24 - 1970.10.13); later Metropolitan Archbishop of Cagayan de Oro (Philippines) (1970.10.13 - retired 1988.01.05), died 1991
- Eduardo Herrera Riera (1970.10.31 - 1994.07.05) as Auxiliary Bishop of Archdiocese of Barquisimeto (Venezuela) (1970.10.31 - 1994.07.05); previously Titular Bishop of Sesta (1965.01.07 - 1966.11.30) as Auxiliary Bishop of Cumaná (Venezuela) (1965.01.07 - 1966.11.30), Bishop of Guanare (Venezuela) (1966.11.30 - 1970.10.31); later Bishop of Carora (Venezuela) (1994.07.05 - retired 2003.12.05), died 2012
- Francis Xavier Irwin (1996.07.24 - ...), emeritus as former Auxiliary Bishop of Archdiocese of Boston (Mass., USA), no previous prelature.
- a fraction of Moniquirá, a town and municipality in Boyacá Department, part of the subregion of the Ricaurte Province, Colombia
Sources and external links
- Stefano Antonio Morcelli, Africa christiana, Volume I, Brescia, 1816, pp. 347-348
- J. Mesnage, L'Afrique chrétienne, Paris, 1912, p. 383
- H. Jaubert, Anciens évêchés et ruines chrétiennes de la Numidie et de la Sitifienne, in Recueil des Notices et Mémoires de la Société archéologique de Constantine, vol. 46, 1913, pp. 103-104