Get Werl essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Werl discussion
. Add Werl
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Werl, Chapelle Mutter Gottes in der Not
Werl is a town located in the district of Soest in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.
Werl is easily accessible because it is located between the Sauerland, Münsterland, and the Ruhr Area. The Hellweg road runs through the city, as Werl is a part of the fertile Bördelandschaft of the Werl-Unnaer Börde.
Division of the town
Werl consists of the following districts:
- Blumenthal (48 inhabitants)
- Budberg (596 inhabitants)
- Büderich (3107 inhabitants)
- Hilbeck (1339 inhabitants)
- Holtum (1049 inhabitants)
- Mawicke (521 inhabitants)
- Niederbergstraße (210 inhabitants)
- Oberbergstraße (363 inhabitants)
- Sönnern (870 inhabitants)
- Westönnen (2665 inhabitants)
- Werl (22151 inhabitants)
Werl was a member of the Hanseatic League in the Middle Ages and since 1661 has had a statue of the Virgin Mary, making it a place of [[Werl pilgrimage|pilgrimage]. Today this relic is in the Wallfahrtsbasilika and is looked after by the Franciscan religious order. Werl Prison is the third largest in North Rhine-Westphalia, Werl Prison.
- 1958-1965: Ferdinand Pöppinghaus (1923-1965) (CDU)
- 1965-1981: Amalie Rohrer (1922-2014) (CDU)
- 1981-1985: Heinz Sasse (CDU)
- 1986-1994: Elisabeth Böhmer (CDU)
- 1994-1996: Kunibert Becker (1934-2001) (CDU)
- 1996-1999: Friedrich Leopold Graf von Brühl, (born 1944) (CDU)
- since 1999 full-time: Michael Grossmann, (born 1948) (CDU)
- Franz von Papen: German nobleman, Roman Catholic monarchist politician, General Staff officer, and diplomat, who served as Chancellor of Germany in 1932 and as Vice-Chancellor under Adolf Hitler in 1933 to 1934, and who helped him come to power, was born in Werl on 29 October 1879.
- Philipp Rosenthal (1855-1937), businessman and founder of Rosenthal AG at Schloss Erkersreuth in Selb.
- Ulla Wiesner (born 1940), singer
- Theodor Redder (born 1941), football national player
- Dimitri Hegemann (born 1954), cultural manager, musician and founder of the club "Tresor" in Berlin
- Martin Auer (born 1963), jazz musician
- Martin Kree (born 1965), footballer
- Bernd Mönkebüscher (born 1966), author, Roman Catholic theologian and priest
- Uwe Grauer (born 1970), footballer and coach
Werl is twinned with: