Get William E. Leuchtenburg essential facts below. View Videos
or join the William E. Leuchtenburg discussion
. Add William E. Leuchtenburg
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
William E. Leuchtenburg
William Edward Leuchtenburg (born September 28, 1922) is the William Rand Kenan Jr. professor emeritus of history at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He is a leading scholar of the life and career of Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
Leuchtenburg was born in New York City, and received his B.A. degree in 1943 from Cornell University, where he was inducted into the Phi Beta Kappa Society. He later received his Ph.D. from Columbia University in 1951.
He won the 2007 North Carolina Award for Literature.
He is a past president of the American Historical Association, the Organization of American Historians, and the Society of American Historians. Eric Foner is the only other historian to claim that distinction.
Leuchtenburg is the author of more than a dozen books on 20th century history, including the Bancroft Prize-winning Franklin D. Roosevelt and the New Deal, 1932-1940 (1963), a volume in the New American Nation series co-edited by his mentor Henry Steele Commager and Richard B. Morris. His books include:
- Flood Control Politics: The Connecticut River Valley Problem, 1927-1950 (1953)
- The Perils of Prosperity, 1914-32 (1958) ISBN 978-0-226-47371-0
- The New Freedom: A Call for the Emancipation of the Generous Energies of a People (Introduction) (1961)
- The LIFE History of the United States, Volume 11: 1933-1945 - New Deal and Global War (1963)
- The LIFE History of the United States, Volume 12: From 1945 - The Great Age of Change (1963)
- Franklin D. Roosevelt and the New Deal, 1932-1940 (1963) online
- The New Deal: A Documentary History (1968)
- Growth of the American Republic (2 vols.) with Samuel Eliot Morison and Henry Steele Commager (1969)
- A Troubled Feast: American Society Since 1945 (1973)
- New Deal and Global War (1974)
- The Growth of the American Republic (Volume I) with Samuel Eliot Morison and Henry Steele Commager (1980)
- A Concise History of the American Republic (Single Volume) with Samuel Eliot Morison and Henry Steele Commager (1983)
- In the Shadow of FDR: From Harry Truman to Ronald Reagan (1989; fourth edition, subtitled From Harry Truman to Barack Obama, 2009)
- The Perils of Prosperity, 1914-1932 (The Chicago History of American Civilization) (1993)
- The Supreme Court Reborn: The Constitutional Revolution in the Age of Roosevelt (1996)
- The FDR Years: On Roosevelt and His Legacy (1997)
- American Places: Encounters with History (editor) (2000)
- That Man: An Insider's Portrait of Franklin D. Roosevelt with Robert H. Jackson et al. (2004)
- The White House Looks South: Franklin D. Roosevelt, Harry S. Truman, Lyndon B. Johnson (2005)
- The Executive Branch (2006)
- Herbert Hoover (The American Presidents Series) (2006)
- The American President: From Teddy Roosevelt to Bill Clinton (2015)