Yonatan Gat performing in Primavera Festival Barcelona, May 2010
||Punk rock, improvisation, avant garde, free jazz, psychedelic rock
||Guitar, bass, piano, organ, drums, percussion, vocals
||Joyful Noise Records, Drag City Records
||Yonatan Gat, Monotonix
Yonatan Gat is a guitarist and composer based in New York. He was profiled in The New York Times, Vice, and People Magazine.The Village Voice named him "Best Guitarist in New York, 2013".
Gat first came to prominence as the guitarist and founder of Monotonix. After finding themselves banned from most venues in their country due to the wild nature of their concerts, the band decided to leave Israel to tour the United States and Europe, gaining notoriety and praise for their revolutionary live concerts. With Monotonix, Gat released an EP and two albums on Drag City Records.
In 2014, Gat began recording and performing under his own name. Gat's new style channeled the confrontational energy of Monotonix, while bringing his guitar playing into a much more improvised realm and incorporating influences from various styles of music from around the world. His first two albums Iberian Passage and Director were released on Joyful Noise Records in 2014 and 2015, respectively.
Gat proceeded to tour the United States and Europe, focusing on a relentless touring schedule as opposed to reliance on music videos and online media. Gat's band performed with artists such as Of Montreal, Thee Oh Sees, and Sun Ra Arkestra, making it a point to always play on the floor inside the audience. In 2014, Gat's band performed in SXSW, and was praised by BuzzFeed and SPIN as one of the top shows of the festival. In August 2015, an EP produced by Steve Albini titled "Physical Copy" was released. Gat's newest album, Universalists, is slated for release through Joyful Noise Records in May 2018.
- Director (2015)
- Universalists (2018)
- Iberian Passage (2014)
- Physical Copy (2015)
- Ascension / Analog Gold Rush (2015)
- Dark Party / Echo Sunset (2015)
- East to West / Hydrogen Bomb (2015)
- ^ "Review: Yonatan Gat Shreds Protocol in a Rampant Concert". The New York Times. Retrieved .
- ^ Spacek, Nick (2015-01-30). "Monotonix's Yonatan Gat on the art of improvised rock and roll, at Riot Room on Sunday | The Fast Pitch". Pitch.com. Retrieved .
- ^ Heigl, Alex (2015-05-18). "Yonatan Gat: Director Out on Joyful Noise". People.com. Retrieved .
- ^ Cohan, Brad (2015-02-24). "Listen to 'Director,' Yonatan Gat's Free-Improv Psychedelic Shred LP | NOISEY". Noisey.vice.com. Retrieved .
- ^ "Best Guitarist New York 2013 - Yonatan Gat". Villagevoice.com. Retrieved .
- ^ Gregory Heaney. "Monotonix | Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved .
- ^ Monotonix. "Monotonix Videos". Dragcity.com. Retrieved .
- ^ Weiss, Dan. "Ex-Monotonix Guitarist Yonatan Gat Gets Psychedelic on 'Iberian Passage' EP". SPIN.com. Retrieved .
- ^ "Yonatan Gat of Monotonix Readies EP". Austintownhall.com. 2014-03-24. Retrieved .
- ^ Fred Thomas (2015-03-03). "Director - Yonatan Gat | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved .
- ^ "Yonatan Gat: Director | Album Reviews". Pitchfork.com. 2015-04-02. Retrieved .
- ^ "Yonatan Gat brings some 'world punk' to San Francisco this weekend". Thebaybridged.com. Retrieved .
- ^ Adams, Gregory (2015-02-12). "Yonatan Gat Plots North American Tour, Premieres New Track". Exclaim.ca. Retrieved .
- ^ "Yonatan Gat readies new LP (stream a song), playing NYC release show, touring w/ Of Montreal & other dates". Brooklynvegan.com. 2015-02-13. Retrieved .
- ^ Terry, Josh (2015-03-12). "Live Review: of Montreal and Yonatan Gat at NYC's Webster Hall (3/11)". Consequenceofsound.net. Retrieved .
- ^ "Yonatan Gat | SXSW 2015 Event Schedule". Schedule.sxsw.com. Retrieved .
- ^ "The 11 Most FOMO-Worthy Performances Of SXSW 2015". Buzzfeed.com. 2015-03-07. Retrieved .
- ^ Weiss, Dan. "SXSW 2015: The Six Best Things We Saw on Day Three". SPIN.com. Retrieved .
- ^ Weiss, Dan. "SXSW 2015: The 21 Best Things We Saw in Austin". SPIN.com. Retrieved .
- ^ Yarbrough, Marshall (2015-03-04). "Music Features: Yonatan Gat Fuses Jazz Prowess with Punk Energy | Flagpole Magazine | Athens, GA News, Music, Arts, Restaurants". Flagpole.com. Retrieved .
- ^ "Yonatan Gat | Universalists | Joyful Noise Recordings". www.joyfulnoiserecordings.com. Retrieved .