Chandrabindu (meaning "moon-dot" in Sanskrit, alternatively spelled candrabindu, chandravindu, candravindu, or chôndrobindu) is a diacritic sign with the form of a dot inside the lower half of a circle. It is used in the Devanagari (?), Bengali (?), Gujarati (?), Oriya (?), Telugu (?), Javanese ( ?) and other scripts.
It usually means that the previous vowel is nasalized.
In Hindi, it is replaced in writing by anusvara when it is written above a consonant that carries a vowel symbol that extends above the top line.
In Classical Sanskrit, it means by pronouncing by our nose seems to occur only over a lla conjunct consonant, to show that it is pronounced as a nasalized double l, which occurs if -nl- have become assimilated in sandhi.
In Vedic Sanskrit, it is used instead of anusvara to represent the sound anunaasika when the next word starts with a vowel. It usually occurs where in earlier times a word ended in -ans.
Unicode encodes chandrabindu and chandrabindu-like characters for a variety of scripts:
- ᬁ BALINESE SIGN ULU CANDRA
- ᬀ BALINESE SIGN ULU RICEM
- ঁ BENGALI SIGN CANDRABINDU
- 𑰼 BHAIKSUKI SIGN CANDRABINDU
- 𑀀 BRAHMI SIGN CANDRABINDU
- ँ DEVANAGARI SIGN CANDRABINDU
- ꣲ DEVANAGARI SIGN SPACING CANDRABINDU
- ꣳ DEVANAGARI SIGN CANDRABINDU VIRAMA
- ऀ DEVANAGARI SIGN INVERTED CANDRABINDU
- 𑤼 DIVES AKURU SIGN CANDRABINDU
- 𑌁 GRANTHA SIGN CANDRABINDU
- ઁ GUJARATI SIGN CANDRABINDU
- ਁ GURMUKHI SIGN ADAK BINDI
- ੰ GURMUKHI TIPPI
- ꦀ JAVANESE SIGN PANYANGGA
- 𑂀 KAITHI SIGN CANDRABINDU
- ಀ KANNADA SIGN SPACING CANDRABINDU
- ಁ KANNADA SIGN CANDRABINDU
- ᰴ LEPCHA CONSONANT SIGN NYIN-DO
- ᰵ LEPCHA CONSONANT SIGN KANG
- ഁ MALAYALAM SIGN CANDRABINDU
- 𑲶 MARCHEN SIGN CANDRABINDU
- 𑑃 NEWA SIGN CANDRABINDU
- ଁ ORIYA SIGN CANDRABINDU
- ꡳ PHAGS-PA LETTER CANDRABINDU
- ꣅ SAURASHTRA SIGN CANDRABINDU
- 𑇏 SHARADA SIGN INVERTED CANDRABINDU
- 𑖼 SIDDHAM SIGN CANDRABINDU
- ඁ SINHALA SIGN CANDRABINDU
- ఁ TELUGU SIGN CANDRABINDU
- ఀ TELUGU SIGN COMBINING CANDRABINDU ABOVE
- ྂ TIBETAN SIGN NYI ZLA NAA DA
- ྃ TIBETAN SIGN SNA LDAN
- 𑒿 TIRHUTA SIGN CANDRABINDU
- 𑨵 ZANABAZAR SQUARE SIGN CANDRABINDU
- 𑨶 ZANABAZAR SQUARE SIGN CANDRABINDU WITH ORNAMENT
- 𑨷 ZANABAZAR SQUARE SIGN CANDRA WITH ORNAMENT
There is also a general-purpose combining diacritical mark COMBINING CANDRABINDU code point U+0310 (), but that is intended for use with Latin letters in transliteration of Indic languages.