Get Eamon Duffy essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Eamon Duffy discussion
. Add Eamon Duffy
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
Eamon Duffy (born 1947) is an Irish historian. He is a professor of the history of Christianity at the University of Cambridge, and a Fellow and former president of Magdalene College.
Duffy was born on 9 February 1947,Dundalk, Ireland. He describes himself as a "cradle Catholic". He was educated at St Philip's School and the University of Hull. He undertook postgraduate research at the University of Cambridge, where his doctoral advisers were Owen Chadwick and Gordon Rupp.
Duffy specialises in 15th- to 17th-century religious history of Britain. He is also a former member of the Pontifical Historical Commission. His work has done much to overturn the popular image of late-medieval Catholicism in England as moribund, and instead presents it as a vibrant cultural force. On weekdays from 22 October to 2 November 2007, he presented the BBC Radio 4 series 10 Popes Who Shook the World - those popes featured were Peter, Leo I, Gregory I, Gregory VII, Innocent III, Paul III, Pius IX, Pius XII, John XXIII, and John Paul II.
Prizes and awards
- Humanism, Reform and the Reformation: The Career of Bishop John Fisher (1989), with Brendan Bradshaw
- The Stripping of the Altars: Traditional Religion in England, c.1400 to c.1580 (1992)
- Saints and Sinners, a History of the Popes. Yale University Press. 1997. ISBN 0-300-07332-1.
- The Voices of Morebath: Reformation and Rebellion in an English Village (2001)
- "The Shock of Change: Continuity and Discontinuity in the Elizabethan Church of England", in Anglicanism and the Western Catholic Tradition (2003)
- Faith of Our Fathers: Reflections on Catholic Tradition (2004)
- Walking to Emmaus (2006)
- Marking the Hours: English People and Their Prayers, 1240-1570 (2006)
- Faith of Our Fathers: Reflections on Catholic Tradition (2006)
- Fires of Faith: Catholic England Under Mary Tudor (2009)
- Ten Popes Who Shook the World (2011)
- Saints, Sacrilege and Sedition: Religion and Conflict in the Tudor Reformations (2012) ISBN 1441181172
- Reformation Divided: Catholics, Protestants, and the Conversion of England (2017)
- The Hope That Is Within You - Eamon Duffy in Conversation with Raymond Friel (2017)
- John Henry Newman: A Very Brief History (2019)
- A Peoples Tragedy - Studies in Reformation (2020) ISBN 978-1-4729-8385-5
- Eamon Duffy, "Far from the Tree" (review of Rob Iliffe, Priest of Nature: the Religious Worlds of Isaac Newton, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2017, ISBN 9780199995356), The New York Review of Books, vol. LXV, no. 4 (8 March 2018), pp. 28-29.