Get Minor Seminary essential facts below. View Videos
or join the Minor Seminary discussion
. Add Minor Seminary
to your PopFlock.com topic list for future reference or share
this resource on social media.
A minor seminary or high school seminary is a secondary day or boarding school created for the specific purpose of enrolling teenage boys who have expressed interest in becoming Catholic priests. They are generally Catholic institutions, and designed to prepare boys both academically and spiritually for vocations to the priesthood and religious life. They emerged in cultures and societies where literacy was not universal, and the minor seminary was seen as a means to prepare younger boys in literacy for later entry into the major seminary.
The minor seminary is no longer very familiar in the developed world. The 1917 Code of Canon Law described the purpose of minor seminaries as: "to take care especially to protect from the contagion of the world, to train in piety, to imbue with the rudiments of literary studies, and to foster in them the seed of a divine vocation". Suitable boys were encouraged to graduate to a major seminary, where they would continue their tertiary studies for the priesthood.
The program of priestly formation of the USCCB refers to them as "high school seminaries" rather than minor seminaries.
Today, college seminaries, where philosophy is studied, are often called minor seminaries even though they are for those who have completed high school.
Currently Operating Minor Seminaries
- St Teresa's Minor Seminary
- St. Augustine Minor Seminary-Minor Seminary of Iba, Zambales, Luzon covering Olongapo City and Zambales Province
- San Jacinto Seminary (Penablanca, Cagayan) –Minor Seminary of the Archdiocese of Tuguegarao
- Diocesan Seminary of the Heart of Jesus (San Fernando La Union) –minor seminary
- Immaculate Conception Minor Seminary (Vigan, Ilocos Sur)
- St. Mary's Seminary (Laoag, Ilocos Norte) - minor seminary
- Immaculate Conception Minor Seminary (Guiguinto, Bulacan) – Minor seminary of the Diocese of Malolos
- John Paul II Minor Seminary (Antipolo, Rizal) – high school seminary of the Diocese of Antipolo
- Oblates of St. Joseph Minor Seminary (San Jose, Batangas) – high school seminary
- Our Lady of Guadalupe Minor Seminary (Makati) – high school seminary of the Archdiocese of Manila
- Our Lady of Mount Carmel Seminary (Sariaya, Quezon) - Minor Seminary, Diocese of Lucena
- Pope John XXIII Seminary (Cebu City), Minor Seminary of the Archdiocese of Cebu
- Pope Paul VI Minor Seminary (Maasin City, Southern Leyte)
- Saint Francis de Sales Minor Seminary (Lipa City, Batangas) - Minor(High School) Seminary of the Archdiocese of Lipa
- Holy Rosary Minor Seminary (Naga City, Camarines Sur) Archdiocese of Caceres
- St. Gregory the Great Seminary (Panal, Tabaco City); Celebrating 50 years in Panal 2-3 September 2010. Minor Seminary for the Diocese of Legazpi
- Our Lady of Peñafrancia Seminary Sorsogon City), Diocese of Sorsogon
- St. Anthony High School Seminary (Kinamaligan, Masbate City) (Will celebrate 50 years of foundation in 2021) Under the supervision of the Diocese of Masbate
- Sto. Nino Seminary (Numancia, Aklan) - minor and college
- St. Pius X Seminary (Lawaan, Roxas City, Capiz) - minor seminary of the Archdiocese of Capiz
- Saint Vincent Ferrer Seminary - (Jaro, Iloilo City) - Minor Seminary of the Archdiocese of Jaro
- Seminario de San Jose (Puerto Princesa City, Palawan) - minor and major seminary
The following minor seminaries operate in the USA today.