The Business Portal
Business is the activity of making one's living or making money by producing or buying and selling products (such as goods and services). Simply put, it is "any activity or enterprise entered into for profit."
Having a business name does not separate the business entity from the owner, which means that the owner of the business is responsible and liable for debts incurred by the business. If the business acquires debts, the creditors can go after the owner's personal possessions. A business structure does not allow for corporate tax rates. The proprietor is personally taxed on all income from the business.
The term is also often used colloquially (but not by lawyers or by public officials) to refer to a company. A company, on the other hand, is a separate legal entity and provides for limited liability, as well as corporate tax rates. A company structure is more complicated and expensive to set up, but offers more protection and benefits for the owner. (Full article...)
Idlewild and Soak Zone, commonly known as Idlewild Park or simply Idlewild, is a family amusement park situated in the Laurel Highlands near Ligonier, Pennsylvania, United States, about 50 miles (80 km) east of Pittsburgh, along US Route 30. Founded in 1878 as a campground along the Ligonier Valley Railroad by Adam Moranduzzo, Idlewild is the oldest amusement park in Pennsylvania and the third oldest operating amusement park in the United States behind Lake Compounce and Cedar Point. The park has won several awards, including from industry publication Amusement Today as the best children's park in the world.
The drawing of the Euro symbol
This diagram illustrates how to draw a euro symbol, based on official documentation, and has been prepared specifically for popflock.com resource and released to the public domain. ADF and BCDE intersect at D. BCDE, GH, and IJ are parallel. BCDE intersects centerline at C.
"It is maintained by some that the bank is a means of executing the constitutional power "to coin money and regulate the value thereof." Congress have established a mint to coin money and passed laws to regulate the value thereof. The money so coined, with its value so regulated, and such foreign coins as Congress may adopt are the only currency known to the Constitution. But if they have other power to regulate the currency, it was conferred to be exercised by themselves, and not to be transferred to a corporation. If the bank be established for that purpose, with a charter unalterable without its consent, Congress have parted with their power for a term of years, during which the Constitution is a dead letter. It is neither necessary nor proper to transfer its legislative power to such a bank, and therefore unconstitutional.
By its silence, considered in connection with the decision of the Supreme Court in the case of McCulloch against the State of Maryland, this act takes from the States the power to tax a portion of the banking business carried on within their limits, in subversion of one of the strongest barriers which secured them against Federal encroachments. Banking, like farming, manufacturing, or any other occupation or profession, is a business, the right to follow which is not originally derived from the laws. Every citizen and every company of citizens in all of our States possessed the right until the State legislatures deemed it good policy to prohibit private banking by law. If the prohibitory State laws were now repealed, every citizen would again possess the right. The State banks are a qualified restoration of the right which has been taken away by the laws against banking, guarded by such provisions and limitations as in the opinion of the State legislatures the public interest requires. These corporations, unless there be an exemption in their charter, are, like private bankers and banking companies, subject to State taxation. The manner in which these taxes shall be laid depends wholly on legislative discretion. It may be upon the bank, upon the stock, upon the profits, or in any other mode which the sovereign power shall will."
- —Andrew Jackson, VETO MESSAGE, 1832
The following are images from various business-related articles on Wikipedia.
Steve Jobs (pictured in 2010) led the introduction of many innovations in the computer, smartphone and digital music industries (from Entrepreneurship)
Apple co-founder and longtime leader
bond issued by the Dutch East India Company (VOC), dating from 1623, for the amount of 2,400 florins (from Corporation)
Student organizers from the Green Club at Newcomb College Institute formed a social entrepreneurship organization in 2010. (from
A vegetable seller in a rural Sri Lankan village (from
Time required to start a business in 2017 (from
On this day in Business history...
Did you know
- ... that at the time of her completion in 1918, American cargo ship West Lianga held the distinction of being both the fastest-launched and the fastest-constructed ocean-going ship in the world?
Things you can do
Urgent and important articles are bold
Here are some tasks awaiting attention:
- Article requests : Abstract Fees, IFRS for small and medium entities, more...
- Assess : assess these pages
- Cleanup : Agricultural productivity, Bank fraud, Billpoint, Economic nationalism, Ethical implications in contracts, Financial adviser, Futures exchange, Gulf rupee, Pricing, Self insurance, Serfdom, Space elevator economics, Valuation, more...
- Disambiguation : cleanup links to dab pages
- Expand : Tom Basso, Clintonomics, Toby Crabel, Diversification (finance), Economy of Brazil, European Cooperative Society, Heavy industry, Larry Hite, Insourcing, Paul Tudor Jones, Planning Commission, Linda Bradford Raschke, Sales pitch, Singapore television channels, David Tepper, Monroe Trout, Tan Yu, Digital Services Act
- Infobox : add to business articles needing infoboxes
- Maintain : Portal:Business and economics
- Merge : Business Analysis, Corporate performance management, Economic growth, Excess reserves, Liberian Companies, National Association of Insurance Commissioners, Permanent war economy, more...
- NPOV : Economic interventionism, Energy economics, Rage Software Limited, more...
- Photo : add to requested photographs of business & economic topics and requested photographs of business and economics people
- Stubs : Bioeconomics, Debt compliance, Double auction, Kitchen sink regression, Single-entry accounting system, War economy, Workforce, more...
- Verify : add sources to Unreferenced BLPs
- Wikify : Economy of GDR, Investment specific technological progress, Marketization, Mediobanca, more...
- Other : Projects - Accounting, Business, Companies, Cooperatives, Deletion sorting, Economics, Finance & Investment, Game theory, International development, Numismatics, Private Equity, Retailing, Shopping Centers, Taxation, Trade, more...